Thursday, August 27, 2026

White Crocodile Queen



Director - H. Tjut Djalil (Lady Terminator, Mystics in Bali)
Starring - Suzzanna (The Earth Gets Hotter, Birth in the Grave), Soendjoto Adibroto (Kliwon Friday Night, Samson and Delilah), and Vera Magdalena (Permainan Dibalik Tirai)
Release Date - 1988
Genre - Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I was not familiar with the horror starlit Suzzanna prior to getting the Suzzanna: Empress of Darkness from my friends over at Severin.  I'd be lying if I said I was and I always try to remain honest in my reviews.  I was still excited to check out these films but I was not aware of how important she was to Indonesian horror.  After watching Pact with the Forces of Darkness, I quickly tossed in the second film in the set which was the 1988 film White Crocodile Queen.  Like with all my reviews, I would like to thank Severin for sending this one over!
     The film follows a man who steals an amulet that is said to grant those that wield it the power to overtake any crocodile.  For this he is cursed for the next 20 years where both of his sons die.  His only remaining child, his daughter, is now at risk of dying so he turns to a local widow who might have a way to stop the curse.  However, he learns that she is possessed by the ghost of the original owner of the amulet who is hellbound on revenge.
     White Crocodile Queen is about on the same level as Pact with the Forces of Darkness.  It's not a horror title that will stick with you for sometime after watching it but it is a solid genre flick.  With that being said, it was extremely campy which reminded me a lot of the Bollywood films that I've reviewed in the past.  It's fun but isn't as fun as it could have been.  The acting in this one is nowhere near as fun as the first film.  The characters are all charictures of what you would expect from a film like this but it's not bad.  The cast has a lot of energy and really get into their roles but the awkward dance-esque numbers and constant smiling made a lot of the scenes feel silly.  The story for this one is not what I was expecting but I did enjoy it for what it was.  A supernatural Bollywood inspired movie with possession, magical amulets, and awkward scenes that bring in unintentional laugh was not what I was expecting.  I really enjoyed loved how unconventional it was in a western sense but it doesn't really have any replay value.  Finally, we get some blood, some fun camera tricks, and some great make-up but that is really the extent of it.  The movie is very story driven with a lot of great visuals but don't expect to see something gory.  Overall, White Crocodile Queen is a fun film for a first time watch.  It's a solid Indonesian horror film that may be more fun if you were a bit high or buzzed.  I liked it but I don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment