Starring - Amit Abidin (The Stabilizer, Revenge of the Ninja), Soendjoto Adibroto (White Crocodile Queen, Pact with the Forces of Darkness), Ali Albar (Diskotik DJ, Satan's Slave)
Release Date - 1986
Genre - Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)
Rating (out of 5):
The Suzzanna: Empress of Darkness set from Severin Films is one hell of a ride that I was not expecting. I considered Putra one of my favorite directors for the sole reason that I absolutely adore his film Satan's Slave. However, after watching a few of the films in this set I can safely say that he may not be my favorite but I still respect the hell out of him. I've reviewed a few of his films in this and I have to say they are the true definition of what it means when people say a movie is a roller coaster ride. The movies have so many ups and downs but that doesn't mean they are good. Hell, by western standards, these films are not that great but I still have fun with them. I was still excited to check out the next film of his in the Suzzanna set, Kliwon Friday Night.
The film follows a struggling author who rents a supposedly haunted house to work on her next piece of fiction. However, the spirit in the home refuses to give her a chance to write as it immediately starts attacking her and anyone that comes near the property.
I knew it wasn't going to be but in the back of my mind I was hoping that I would be in the same vein as Satan's Slave. I know you are probably sick of me saying it but I fucking love this movie. Kliwon Friday Night was not like it but it had some of the weirdest moments I've ever seen in a movie. The acting in this one is pretty consistent with the other films in the set. We have a lot of campy performances with a lot of energy and unforgettable characters. While I don't really have a lot more to say about it, I don't necessarily hate the acting but it wasn't what I was hoping for. The story for this one feels like the movie was shot without a finished script. We have the basic premise which features the author and a haunted house but the remainder of the film is random scenes, a dance number, and that is about it. It was fun so don't take that the wrong way but it doesn't really make sense. Looking back, I bet I would have loved this one a lot more if I had popped a 100mg edible. Finally, we get some make-up effects but those looking for gore and memorable deaths will be very disappointed. However, if a dance number with a little person is more your speed then this one is for you. Overall, Kliwon Friday Night is a mess of a film but if you dig cult cinema like I do then you can appreciate this weird ass movie. Check it out.



No comments:
Post a Comment