Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Creep Van

 

 Director - Scott W. McKinlay (Gag)
Starring - Brian Kolodziej (Flight of the Living Dead), Amy Wehrell (Gag), Gerald Emerick (This is 40)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Let the bad times roll"
Format - Streaming (Netflix)

Rating (out of 5):

     It is rare to come across a movie that has shitty cover art and a shitty title only to discover that the movie itself is actually quite good.  Cue in Creep Van.  I have seen a lot of people talk about this movie but once I saw the title I stopped reading what they had to say.  The title is one of the worst titles in cinematic history and if the team behind it did not have enough imagination to come up with something better then the film has no chance.  After watching this film I could have thought of something a lot better than just Creep Van.  Anyway, after watching Rites of Spring I was recommended this film by Netflix.  I figured why not listen to Netflix and give this one a go.
     The film follows Campbell (Kolodziej).  Campbell has fallen on harsh times.  He is living with his sex addicted friend and has recently lost his job because he does not have a car.  He is given a job detailing cars and meets a foxy little lady who also works there.  Campbell believes his luck will change once he buys a car of some sort.  He quickly discovers an old van for sale but is unaware of the dark history the van has.  The van is rigged with different traps and devices meant to kill those inside.  Campbell is unable to reach the owner by telephone but the owner of the van has his eye on him.  The owner of the van is playing a sick game with the young man leaving a trail of bodies in his wake.
     This movie truly surprised me.  I have said that about many movies in the past, however, this one truly does.  The title and artwork put me in the mindset that I was about to watch something horrible.  The movie then pulled a 180 and hit me with something I now will have to buy and add to my collection.  It was honestly that good.  The acting is very amateurish but I would not call it bad.  Most of the lead roles were not bad but they do need more work.  The story is actually pretty clever.  I liked the idea of the van filled with traps.  It put me in mind of a real life Jigsaw Killer and I personally liked that.  Now after hearing this you need to keep in mind that this is a low budget horror flick instead of a summer blockbuster.  Finally, the special effects are this films high point.  This movie has some amazing kills and most of them are very original.  When it comes to horror movies it is hard to see kills that are original and not something recycled from the films of yesteryear.  The one is filled with blood and gore.  The most hardcore gorehounds will definitely find what they are looking for in this one.  Overall, this is a solid film that offers up some great kills.  I highly recommend it.
                
        

No comments:

Post a Comment