Thursday, March 7, 2013

Miami Connection


Director(s) - Y.K. Kim and Woo-sang Park (Kill the Ninja)
Starring - Y.K. Kim, Vincent Hirsch (Dragons Never Die), and Joseph Diamand
Release Date - 1987
Genre - Action
Tagline - "Survival the ultimate test..."
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Stills from Youtube)

Rating (out of 5):
     My soft spot for 80's cinema could be considered a weakness.  I have bought my fair share of shit-filled films just because they were produced in the 80s.  A few months back the horror forums I frequently visit was in an uproar over a film that was recently rediscovered.  The movie was filmed in 87 and immediately lost.  A lot of the members in the forum had purchased the film and became head over heals in love with it after just one viewing.  I quickly combed amazon.com and found it on Bluray and it was surprisingly cheaper than DVD.  I grabbed it and threw it on my shelf until now.
     The film follows the pop-rock band Dragon Sound.  One of the band members is in love with a foxy little thing whose brother is a member of a ninja, coke-dealing, motorcycle riding gang.  The girl's brother does not like his only sister dating the band member and sets out to intimidate him.  However, this fails when the ninja drug dealers discover that the band's guitarist is a karate master.  After the band kick and punch their way through the gang, the gang's leader gets involved and sends in an elite group of ninjas to kill the band.  Once again that plan falls through after one of the band members is seriously injured forcing the guitarist to go on a bloody rampage as he leaves the corpses of the coke dealing biker ninjas in his path.
     I figured this movie would not live up to all the hype it was receiving on all the forums...and I was wrong.  This movie has everything I love about 80's cinema.  The movie is the 80's from every angel; from the music, style of clothing, vocabulary, and general vibe all together.  Now on to the movie.  The acting is honestly some of the worst I have ever seen in any movie.  That is saying something coming from me because I watch some pretty shitty movies.  The dialogue in this film is horrible and it is a task to understand half the stuff Kim has to say.  The story and special effects are nothing special either.  The reason this movie is so damn entertaining is because of the cheese factor.  The movie is bad and that is this films only redeeming quality.  The movie makes you laugh when you least expect it and when you think it cant get any worse, it does.  Overall, this is a bad movie that I fucking love.  This is a must own.
      
       


No comments:

Post a Comment