Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mr. Rape's First Date

aka M.R.F.D.

Director - Nik Box (Brutal Jesus and the House of Wasted Youth, She's Dead)
Starring - Scarlet Brooke, Pete Spreadz, Gerald Steel (Game Over)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "He's getting lucky if she likes it or not"
Format - Streaming (Youtube screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Director Nik Box is a man I greatly admire.  When I first started writing reviews I covered his film Brutal Jesus and the House of Wasted Youth.  I utterly despised that film and my review showed that.  Box found my little blog and sent me a message.  Until that time I had never been in contact with film makers, actors, actresses, and so forth so it was a big deal to me.  Sure, I did not like his film but the fact he took his own money and time to make a film garnered my respect.  We spoke via email for awhile and he then sent me two more films to review.  I liked the following two and have been following his work ever since.  Around this time he revealed that he would be making a film titled Mr. Rape's First Date.  I was a little concerned about the movie.  I would watch it out of respect for Box but rape is a touchy subject and done wrong could end with a shitty film and no taste.
     The film takes place in the future where all forms of media and entertainment is banned.  The crime rates are down and education is up, however, there is that 1% that are below those standards.  Meet Mr. Rape.  He is a man haunted by his name and forced to wear mask to hide from ridicule.  One day, while walking along the shore, he finds an old monitor and begins to see a vision.  The vision tells him about the world before everything was censored.  The vision then convinces him to head out and have a little fun...against a young woman's will.  Mr. Rape seeks out a young lady and has his way with her, however, after his forced game of in out in out she gets her revenge!
     Like I said before, I was worried about how Box would take the concept of rape.  However, I am happy to say that he does understand the impact of handling rape the wrong and made one hell of a film out of it.  I love Box's originality while still throwing nods to classic films in his films.  Without giving the ending away I just want to mention that you need to watch for the I Spit on Your Grave reference.  I don't know if the reference was intended or pure coincidental but it was cool never the less.  The acting in this is hard to determine because of the style Box chose to shoot the film.  There is no real dialogue other than a man telling his tell about raping a woman and a woman telling the tragic events that befell her.  The story is original and is very effective for a short.  If the film was much longer then it wouldn't have worked so well.  In fact, the film could have been shortened even further in my honest opinion.  Some of the scenes involving the dialogue of the raped girl and rapist just seem to drag on a little too long and take way from the overall film.  Finally, we do not get any real special effects, instead, we get great tension and atmosphere combining with a great twist at the end.  Overall, Box has crafted another great film and is making a name for himself in the indie community.  I highly recommend this one.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment