Monday, May 27, 2013

Richie Rich


Director - Donald Petrie (Grumpy Old Men)
Starring - Macaulay Culkin (The Pagemaster), John Larroquette (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre), and Jonathan Hyde (Anaconda)
Release Date - 1994
Genre - Children's/Comedy/Adventure
Tagline(s) - "An adventure so big... even the world's richest kid can't afford to miss it" "Five buddies, one butler, and a dog on an adventure so big... Even the world's richest kid can't afford to miss it" and "Without the inventions, the butler, and the private fast-food restaurant...he's just a normal 12-year-old billionaire"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
      Ritchie Rich is a special movie for me.  Not only did I absolutely love it when I was little but it was also the first VHS I added to my collection.  I remember the day very well when my Dad got me my first copy.  Not long after that I started collecting the Goosebumps VHS releases and thus spiraling down the dark road of collecting.  After I left for college this was sadly one of the films that my sister decided to sell because she is a stupid bitch.  I lost this, my entire Goosebumps VHS collection, and well over a few 100 DVDs.  So one day I was feeling nostalgic and went ahead and ordered the DVD to add to my collection.    
    The story follows a 12 year old boy whose parents just happen to be billionaires.  Having all the money in the world comes at a price.  Richie is missing out on a real American childhood because of his father's fortune.  The other children his age are out playing baseball and other everyday activities, however, Richie has to attend a private school where other kids his age are preparing for their futures running their parent's companies.  One day Richie meets a gang of kids playing baseball while making a public appearance for his father.  The group becomes friends with Richie and that comes at the perfect time.  The accountant for Richie's father is planning on killing his father and mother and sabotage their plane.  Their plane goes down in the ocean but they survive and use a gadget called the Dad Link to reach Richie.  However, the asshole accountant finds out and rescues them just to bribe them into giving him the "treasures" in their vault.  It is up to Richie and his new found friends to save the them.
     The 80's was a decade that made some of the best films, however, the 90s is remembered as a decade that many film fans have panned.  I personally believed that some of the best movies aimed for children came from the 90s.  Looking back I could name hundreds of great children films like Small Soldiers, Space Jam, Air Bud, Angels in the Outfield, and so forth.  These movies are remarkable and I'm sure these will be shown to my children if I ever have any. That brings me to my review and why this movie is on my blog.  Sadly, a lot of people have forgotten this classic children's flick.  Hopefully my review will intrigue those that have not and they will venture out and get it.  The acting in this is what you would expect from a film of this caliber.  I don't really care that much for Culkin other than this movie.  The story is nothing amazing but can entertain a kid the entire time. This is the kind of film you can put on for your kids and know they will like it.  Finally, the special effects in this one is very dated but it does not take away from the film.  Overall, this is a classic that has faded from memory and that is a crime.  I highly recommend it.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment