Friday, May 3, 2013

Pleasures of the Damned


Director - Mark Leake
Starring - Sean Tigert, Ian Potter (Trilogy of Blood), and Dustin Edwards (Isle of the Damned)
Release Date - 2005
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline(s) - "Banned for 25 years... the most shocking film you've never seen" "Your life will never be the same" and " Prepare yourself for an experience in the occult and the forbidden pleasures of violated flesh for beyond everything on earth...or in HELL!"
Format - Streaming (Netflix)

Rating (out of 5):
      After watching the amazing film that is Isle of the Damned I had to see if the director had crafted another film.  Unfortunately, he did not and I was a little disappointed.  So I headed over to amazon.com to order the DVD and saw the customers also purchased section had this film here in it.  I did a little digging and discovered that some of the same cast and crew as Isle of the Damned was in this film and IotD was actually a type of sequel to this film.  I was shocked and super excited to find this flick.  I did not order it but headed over to Netflix instead (Hell, I spend the $8 a month and never watch anything on it).
     The film follows Jack Steele and his girlfriend as they try to talk her brother into coming home.  He has joined a satanic cult that has aligned itself with a biker gang.  The leader of the cult is a powerful magician that is trying to find a book that holds the key to immortality.  However, the bikers accidentally unleash an ancient cult that killed themselves in the very woods they are in now 200 years ago. 

     When I went into this film I knew nothing about it just like I did when I watched Isle of the Damned.  After watching just a few minutes I quickly realized that this is a film in the same fashion as IotD and I loved every minute of it.  The film is obviously a parody of 70's exploitation films, as well as, biker and satanic films that could be found in abundance at that time.  Adding humor to the subject matter was truly entertaining and definitely made me laugh.  The acting is once again horrible and even worse dubbing was added to the film giving it that foreign film charm while still adding humor to it.  The story is actually a little more in depth than IotD, however, it is just as entertaining.  Finally, this film skips on the special effects that we are treated to in IotD.  We do get zombies and a kill or two but nothing like the other film.  Overall, this is a funny exploitation romp through yesterday that offers some laughs.  I recommend it.
  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment