Monday, October 7, 2013

Race War: The Remake


Director - Tom Martino (Cheeseballs)
Starring - Howard Calvert (Jacob, The Haunted Trailer), Jamelle Kent (Lars the Emo Kid), and Danny McCarty
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi
Tagline(s) - "Prepare yourself for the motion picture that's got it all going on, bitch" and "Coming soon to fuck up the white man's afternoon"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     I, by no means, call myself a genius or know everything there is about horror movies but I do know one thing and that is artwork and titles sell the movie.  I have said this time and time again but I want my point to stand.  Indie films, and especially indie horror, are not well known.  If the movie is one I have never seen before I usually base if I should buy it or not on the artwork.  I am saying all this for a reason so hold on.  A few months ago I received the films Exhumed and Race War: The Remake from the fine people over at Wild Eye Releasing.  I was excited to see Exhumed but the second film, Race War, did not look appealing and the title threw me off even though it is relevant to the film.  The DVD artwork was nothing praise worthy and did not look interesting but once I saw the film I did a little looking and found an amazing poster for the film that should have been used.  It was so bad ass and can be seen above.  Anyway, after some time I threw the movie in and gave it a go where I was more than surprised.
     The film follows drug dealers Baking Soda (Calvert), G.E.D. (Kent), and Kreech aka Da Black Kreecha  (McCarty) who are under attack by racist aliens that are selling their own bastard form of crack in their territory.  The crack is turning those that smoke it into members of the undead that can be controlled and used as slaves.  To make matters worse G.E.D. is kidnapped by the racist alien scumbags and Kreech is shot and killed.  Soda, not wanting to lose his only surviving friend, sets out on a one man mission to save his crackheads and his secretly gay homie.
     There are some films you can tell you will enjoy and then they are other films you know without a doubt that you will hate and most of the time you are right.  That being said, there is a few films that you think you will hate and they completely mindfuck the shit out of you.  That is this film here.  I had no idea what this movie was about when I threw it in I was hooked after 5 minutes.  The movie is off-the-wall and filled with real anarchy and mayhem.  Sadly, I don't see a lot of indie fans picking this one up.  I think this film would get a lot more attention if it had different DVD artwork.  Aside from The Disco Exorcist, this is one of the most entertaining films released by Wild Eye Releasing and I can't stress enough how everyone needs to see this film.  The acting is not the best I have seen in an indie flick, in fact, it was definitely towards the bottom of indie cinema.  However, this is the few instances where bad acting adds to the film.  The bad acting makes this ridiculous film even more funny than what it was already.  The story is easily one of the most ludicrous and downright entertaining flicks I have ever laid my baby blues on.  It was nothing you would see in a Hollywood big-budget flick but it is everything I fucking enjoy in an indie horror flick.  The movie has monster, humor, and creativity seeping out of every crackhead's orifices.  This film has a story that has to be seen to be believed.  Finally, the film does have a metric shit ton of practical and visual effects.  I usually despise visual effects because most films do not use them properly.  However, this film made the visual effects fun and only added to the great practical effects.  The practical effects are good but the main focus of the film is the insane story.  Overall, this film is just plain fucking crazy and honestly one of the funniest indie horror flicks I have seen in years.  Please, please, please watch this one.  I hate to beg but you will really enjoy yourself.



    

    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment