Monday, October 21, 2013

State of Emergency (2011)

State of Emergency (2011)
directed by:  Turner Clay
starring:  Jay Hayden, Scott Lilly, Tori White, Kathryn Norman
Format:  Netflix Streaming
Tagline:  When the Dead Walk, The Living Will Run

(out of 5)

     Once again I don't care what the tagline says this is not a zombie movie it's an infected movie there is no doubt about that.  None of the creatures are dead, no one gets killed and comes back from the dead, and they even discuss the fact that people are infected with a military chemical from a plant explosion not far from the warehouse where most of the film takes place.  
Okay that's over...let me just first start off the review by stating that if you don't like talky zombie dramas then just skip right by this movie because 90% of the movie plus is talking and what not.  Personally I found the film very interesting and I really got into the characters and there really was no one to hate in the movie at all.  Jay Hayden who played Jim and Tori White who played Alex were my two favorite actors in the film but by no means would that take away from the others.  It was one of those films for me that I wish I could see what happened to the characters after the film stopped.  So as far as the writing goes I'd say it's damn good.
   The movie isn't super faced paced you don't really see too many of the infected but when you do it gets pretty edge of your seat.  The infected are scary and usually covered with sores and are all dirty, very realistic looking.  They definitely took a little of the infected design from 28 Days Later with the
    
red eyes and all but it didn't take away from the movie for me.  They scream, they run, they stare, and one even speaks.  And yeah I got to admit there were two scenes in particular that freaked me out a little.  Old people and children as demons/zombies/infected, etc. freak me the hell out and we have some older folk in this who are infected...it's scary for me hahaha.


       The only thing I hated about the movie were the cgi blood gun shots.  I'll say it a thousand times cgi is fine, sometimes even great, but blood is never acceptable in the cgi medium for me.  It's just lazy...especially when the film had so much non-cgi blood.

          This movie is not for the majority of the zombie/infected fans out there because of the talking and drama but once again I however enjoy the survival of the human condition in these movies and this one just takes the cake as far as good dialogue and great characters you really want to care about making it to the end of the movie.  Highly recommended if that sounds worth it to you!




No comments:

Post a Comment