Sunday, October 20, 2013

Walt Disney's Wolderful World of Color: Mr. Boogedy


Director - Oz Scott (Timecop)
Starring - Richard Masur (My Girl, My Girl 2), Mimi Kennedy (Due Date), and David Faustino (Married With Children)
Release Date - 1986
Genre - Horror/Children's/Comedy
Format - VHS (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
     You do not have to be a horror fan to have a Halloween tradition.  That holiday is fun for everyone regardless if you like horror or not.  Personally, I watch horror movies all year so in October I like to watch Halloween based movies and that sometimes means I cross paths with children's flicks or comedies. I'm completely fine with that because those are movies that reminds of Halloween the most.  Hell, I still watch Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown every Halloween day.  A movie I came across when I was real little, I'm talking about being 4 or 5, was Mr. Boogedy.  I was at my Grandmother's on Halloween that year and this movie was showing on the Disney Channel and we both watched it.  I loved it and I still remember I cried when it went off.  Fast forward about 5 years and I found a copy of it on VHS at a flea market.  It was dirt cheap but in poor condition.  I grabbed it and treated it like gold for a few years until I met a tech savy friend who was able to copy it to my computer in mp4 format.  Now I can watch it every October!
     The film follows the Davis family as the move to a small New England town.  They just purchased an old home that the locals claim are haunted.  The father Carleton (Masur) is a manager of a novelty store that specialized in practical jokes in which he shares the hobby with his wife and two sons.  However, his teenage daughter does not find it that amusing.  After moving in the three children hear stories from the locals on why the home is haunted.  Back when the town was founded an older pilgrim nicknamed Mr. Boogedy lived there.  He hated children and would often scare them by screaming "boogedy boogedy boo."  The man hated children but was in love with a widow.  She refused to give him the time of day so he made a deal with the devil and stole her son only to be trapped in his home with the boy.  The kids do not believe the urban legend and return home only to befriend the young boy's ghost as Mr. Boogedy tries to scare them from his home.
     Some movies just have a charm about them that will always entice you no matter how old you are.  Some of those great movies stick with a select few while the masses forget the movie even existed.  That is what happened to this flick here.  It landed itself into a select few's Halloween tradition while many people forgot about it and that is a shame.  This movie is great for adult and children and I can not wait until my first born (who is still maturing in my wife's womb) is old enough to watch this Halloween classic.  The acting is perfect for this style of film but nothing award winning or top notch.  All the cast members made their roles fun and lively which really made the film fun and the funny moments even funnier.  The story is nothing new but it is great as a children's flick.  Similar stories have been seen numerous times in actual horror movies and have been very affective in most cases.  However, it was a damn good children's flick for the whole family.  Finally, those looking for kills will not find them here but if you want cheesy 80s visual and practical effects then look no further because this one has it.  Overall, this is a Halloween classic that not many people know about or remember.  If you ever get the chance to watch this one I highly recommend you do. 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment