Friday, February 6, 2015

Ain't It Cool With Harry Knowles Season 2 Debut


Starring - Harry Knowles (The Faculty, The Ghosts of Mars), Jarrell Knowles (The Faculty), and Danny Boyle (28 Days Later)
Release Date - 2015
Format - Streaming (online screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     In the world of horror, sci-fi, comics, and everything nerdy and geeky, one man has rose to the top to become the self-proclaimed "head geek."  That man is Harry Knowles who has become an icon for his film reviews.  The man is a legend and one of the few people that inspired me to start writing reviews.  Anyway, over the summer I was browsing YouTube when I discovered that Knowles had created a web-series.  I binge watched every fucking episode that night and then did it again in the morning.  The show was so much fucking fun and took me back to a time when television shows had sets that was just as fun as the show itself.  Everyone remembers Peewee's Playhouse and MonsterVision once Job Bob Briggs took over and this put me in mind of that.  I did a little looking and discovered that Knowles ran a successful crowd funding campaign for a second season but nothing had come of it yet...until I received an email that season 2 was debuting on PBS in Austin.  I was lucky enough to get a link to an online screener for the first episode of the season.  Talk about being excited!
     This debut episode follows Harry as he tells the viewer about his favorite director, Michael Curtiz, and why he is his favorite director.  He then compares Curtiz to modern director Danny Boyle who then appears in the crystal ball.  The two then start discussing Boyle's films like 28 Days Later, Shallow Graves, Trance, and many more.  They discuss the different aspect of his films, as well as, upcoming releases and possible future films.  Boyle leaves the set and then we have a small conversation between Harry and Boiler.
    I typically hate talk shows.  I have no interest watching someone I don't care about interviewing someone else I don't care about.  They just bore the shit out of me and the only exception to this is the Talking Dead and that is only if they get a genre icon on the show as the guest.  I never watch the show when they have cast members and so forth on it because I honestly don't give a damn. However, when Nicotero and other genre icons are on I will definitely tune in.  However, Ain't it Cool with Harry Knowles gives us interviews with people we actually care about discussing topics we also care about.  The way they discuss their topics draws the viewer in.  They use so much energy that it is almost impossible not to watch and the debut episode did just that.  Most movie goers and fans may like noir and noir type films but watching other people talk about it is boring as hell.  However, that is the charm of AiCwHK.  They can pull you in while talking about anything. The first episode also hit with a bang when he interviews the talented Danny Boyle who is known for his work in so many genres especially horror.  This does worry me as a fan.  AiCwHK either started the show with a bang only to give us less interesting guests or Danny Boyle is just the tip of the iceberg.  Finally, the series returns to the set that I come to enjoy in the first season.  Sadly, he did not utilize it as much as I would have liked but with Danny Boyle is guest you want to spend as much time as possible picking his brain.  Overall, Ain't is Cool with Harry Knowles started off on the right foot.  We are given a great interview with legendary actor Danny Boyle and we get that amazing set I keep talking about.  When this show airs be sure to check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment