Monday, February 16, 2015

Terror Telly


Director(s) - Nik Box (Brutal Jesus and the House of Wasted Youth), Torin Langen (Curse of the Bog Zombie), Peter Murfet (Terror of the Blood Demon), and Chan Walrus (Terror Telly: Chopping Channels)
Starring - Kris Anticknap, James Balsamo (Catch of the Day), and Rebecca Buckle (A Quick Fortune)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "If you flick through the channels late at night...You'll get a fright"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
     I started writing reviews near the end of 2011 when I reviewed one of my favorite anthologies, Two Evil Eyes.  I shared my review around and not long after that I turned to Amazon to see if the film was out on blu yet.  As soon as my Amazon account loaded I saw a film called Brutal Jesus and the House of Wasted Youth was in the "recommended for me" section.  I had to order it because the titled was fucking amazing.  Sadly, I did not like the film and my review clearly showed that.  I wrote a lot of negative things about the film and Nik Box, the director and founder of Dead Good Films Like, found it.  He reached out to me and asked me to check out the other films in his christploitation series.  I did that and they were a vast improvements over Brutal Jesus.  I went ahead and ordered all his films and put them on my shelf to show off.  Sadly, I forgot about the anthology film Terror Telly until recently when I was rearranging my collection.  
     The film follows a young man who sits down to do a little late night tv viewing when he finds a channel featuring a horror host who is spinning four tales on his last night on the job.  The first film is another take on the Frankenstein mythos in which an eccentric doctor re-creates life only to have things fall apart.  The second story follows a young man who wakes up and his turns shitty when he starts to bleed out of his mouth.  The third story follows a group of intergalactic explorers that land on a planet and things don't go as smoothly as they would have liked.  The third and final segment follows a young man that ventures into his attic one night while he is home alone to discover that something sinister is living up there.
     Anthologies fall apart when the bookend segments or wrap around segments are weak.  Anthologies need something to hold the segments together and when that segment is horrible then the viewer knows what will follow will be bad.  Terror Telly does have a weak wrap around segment but still has some quality stories to offer the viewer.  A better segment to hold all these stories together would have made a better film.  The acting in this film varies from segment to segment but is very good all around with my favorite belonging to the Frankenstein segment.  The doctor was really fun and zany which worked very well with the story.  The other segments shows so much talent and on screen charisma, they just lacked experience.  The stories for these are nothing new nor are they original.  They are, however, very bold and fun with most pulling the viewer in for a silly good time.  Finally, the film does have a few good kills but they skip on the practical effects with the exception of the last segment.  That segment gives us some good gore but they do it in a way that it is not that effective.  Overall, Terror Telly is a fun anthology that blends goofy horror with late night television.  The film does not have that great of a wrap around story but still delivers on the entertainment.




No comments:

Post a Comment