Sunday, February 14, 2016

Cannibal Terror


Director(s) - Alain Deruelle (Jailhouse Wardress) and Olivier Mathot (The Erotic Dreams of a Lady), and Julio Perez Tabernero (Midnight Party)
Starring - Silvia Solar (Night of the Howling Beast), Gerard Lemaire (The Party), and Pamela Stanford (Hitler's Last Train)
Release Date - 1980
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Deep in the jungle the flesheaters are waiting"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     As I have said before, I am not that fond of jungle cannibal flicks.  They tend to be boring as hell until the kill scenes which are rarely good enough to make the film worth while.  I've seen several of these horror flicks but they rarely offer up something I find entertaining but there is a few that are memorable for their amazing kill scenes that makes them a staple among horror fans.  Sometime ago Severin Films sent me a copy of their blu release for the Devil Hunter/Cannibal Terror double feature.  Sadly, I had lost the copy when I was organizing my movies until my wife was picking up a bit and found it.  I felt like shit when I found this and promised myself these two films would be the first films I review this month.  
     The film follows three cons who botch a job and foolishly snag a kid during their escape.  They have nowhere to go and turn to a friend who is able to pull some strings and get them somewhere to hide out deep in the jungle.  The three take the child there to hide out but are unaware that the jungle is home to flesh eating primitives.  They soon learn that they are being stalked by them, as well as, the parents of the young girl.
     Cannibal flicks are only enjoyable for the deaths in my opinion.  They all lack stories but some make up for it with some truly unbelievable deaths.  Sadly, Cannibal Terror is not one of those movies.  The acting in this one is actually the film's high point.  The cast put on a solid performance but they are far from being perfect or memorable.  They all seem to work well with each other which does help the movie a little better.  The story for this one is one we have seen several times among the cannibal horror flicks.  Regardless of how they get there, these films always follows a group that find themselves deep in the jungle before they are slaughtered by the locals. This story is no different and moves painfully slow.  Finally, the film does have a few good kills but they are pretty much over before they start.  We get some great disembowelment scenes but most take place off screen before coming back on with some great effects.  These were few and far in between.  Overall, Cannibal Terror is one I really wanted to like but the film did not give me a chance.  The deaths were too quick to enjoy and the story moves at a snails pace.  I can not recommend this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment