Sunday, April 17, 2016

Bigfoot The Movie


Director - Jared Show (Bigfoot)
Starring - Curt Wooton (Pittsburgh Dad), Jared Show (The Pumpkin Karver), and Nate Magill
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Small town...big foot"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
     I decided to indulge myself in my love of cryptozoology and have a bigfoot triple feature.  After receiving several bigfoot flicks to review, along with inquiring some just for my collection. I really did not want to wait to watch Bigfoot vs. Zombies so I tossed a few more films into the pile to have myself a fun night full of no budgets and hairy suits.  After BvZ I decided to toss in Bigfoot The Movie.  I grabbed a copy of this Pittsburgh production when I did the Romero tour a few months back.  I stopped by Monroeville Mall (where Dawn of the Dead was shot) and found a cool retro video game store where I found this along with the shitty Day of the Dead 2.  The clerk was very excited to talk about the film which, in turn, made me excited to check it out.  He mentioned the Pittsburgh Dad was in the film.  Living just 3 hours away from Pitt you would assume I had heard of him but I had not.  I was still excited to check it out and very glad I grabbed a copy while I was there.
     The film follows three backwoods good ol boys out for a good time when one of them is attacked by something covered in fur.  They soon get a good look at it and determine that it is a Sasquatch.  They tell the police about what they saw and become the laughing stock of the town.  They then start to suspect that their mayor brought the creature in with hopes of starting a crypto zoo but it escaped.  They partner with a local exterminator to kill the creature after it kills is elderly uncle.   The three then set out to stop the beast before it kills again while avoiding the corrupt political figure of their hometown.
     I'm going to be honest and say I had low expectations for this flick.  I knew Bigfoot vs. Zombies would be cheap fun but I figured Bigfoot The Movie would not have that kind of charm.  Lucky for me, I was very wrong.  The acting for this one is fucking fantastic.  I can praise the cast up one side and down the other but the fact would remain that the film's three leads, Curt Wooton, Jared Show, and Nate Magill were amazing.  I was really surprised by Wooton and his redneck portrayal.  He mad the film fun and I could totally see him starring in another cryptid horror film with his two co-stars.  His character is so animated that I could see him starring in his own series of comic books.  Could he get drunk enough to fist fight the Mothman?  The story for this one is one we have seen so many times before but it still is able to entertain.  The story follows a group of people who suspect a mythical beast is killing townsfolk.  This has been the story for vampire, werewolf, and even zombie films before.  With that being said, the story is able to blend a great deal of dimwitted humor and horror to make a very enjoyable film almost in the same manner as Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.  It also flirts with the fine line of hixploitation that I think deserves to make a come back so Smokey and the Bandit and Roadhouse can be relevant again.  The story was fun but it does have some slow scenes that tries the viewer's patience.  A little tighter editing would have made it damn near perfect.  Finally, this one has several on screen kills but lacks the gore that one would expect from a flick following a murdering Sasquatch.  The kills are mostly off screen or uses cheap practical effects.  This somewhat fits the humorous tone the film sets but almost ruins the monster movie vibe the film establishes in the beginning.  The beast, however, looks solid and is one of the better bigfoot that I have seen in a movie.  Overall, Bigfoot The Movie is one impressive no budget creature feature.  It has tons of laughs and a lot of appeal.  This needs to be on any crypto's must watch list.  Check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment