Friday, September 9, 2016

Evil Souls


Director - Maurizio del Piccolo (My Little Sister) and Roberto del Piccolo (The Hounds)
Starring - Julian Boote (Jack the Giant Killer), Peter Cosgrove (Splash Area), and Robert di Stano
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Some men are born evil, others are created"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Have you ever picked up a film and can't make heads or tails out of the artwork?  That happens to me a lot.  I hold a film's artwork in high regards.  Some instantly pull me in and are like a hard drug.  Some I will just stare at in amazement by how awesome they are.  Others keep me wondering how someone could agree to print the artwork for publication.  Then we get those films that leave you wondering.  What is the film about, what is going on, and so many more questions.  Evil Souls is one of those films that was sent to me from Brain Damage Films and Midnight Releasing.  The artwork raised more questions than it had answers.  I want to thank them for sending this one my way!
     The film follows two women who are abducted after their children are kidnapped.  Their captor ties them up and tortures them before sexually abusing them.  While their lives are being in the hands of their abductor, Valentine, a priest is out looking for a prostitute that he often speaks to.  Now this priest and these missing women will cross paths and a prophecy will come to fruition.


     I want to like every movie that is sent my way to review.  My reviews are always honest.  If I don't like something I am going to say I don't like it.  The same can be said for if actually like it.  I may be a nobody that reviews movie but I want to be a nobody with integrity.  That is why I have to be honest even if I don't like a film.  Evil Souls...I didn't like it.  In fact, it was a chore to finish.  I wanted to turn it off so many times but suffered through it for the review's sake.  The acting in this one is not bad.  Far from perfect but was not bad.  The cast is convincing in the more dramatic scenes which is rare for the films I usually review.  However, the more casual scenes are difficult to watch.  The cast is shows no emotions when carrying on a casual conversation but goes all own in the more emotionally disturbing scenes.  The story for this one is a bit confusing and moves at a snails pace.  I have seen so many films that had the imagery and basic plot for a movie there but is unable to put all the pieces together.  Evil Souls is that film.  The movie gives us some amazing imagery.  Actually, some of the best I have seen in an indie movie but the story is all over the place.  The film tries to play the two angles, one with Valentine and one with the priest, but it just feels like two movies that are tossed together for the sake of the ending.  The writing needed to be a little better and the scenes needed to be a lot tighter.  Finally, the film has some scenes of torture but it was very mild and lackluster.  The effects are minimal and they lack the gore needed to make it believable.  Not much thought or planning was placed into these scenes.  Overall, Evil Souls was a huge disappointment. Visually, the film is breath taking but that is the extent of it.  The story is hard to follow and the acting is a little off.  I can not recommend this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment