Sunday, September 25, 2016

Gore Whore


Director - Hugh Gallagher (Exploding Angel, Gorotica)
Starring - Audrey Street, Brady Debussey (The Sore Losers, Gorotica), and D'Lana Tunnell (The Sore Losers, Teenage Tupelo)
Release Date - 1994
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "With this girl, there is no such thing as safe sex"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     When I write a review I start to notice patterns.  Either patterns in the films I watch or patterns in my review.  Either way, I see patterns.  Usually when I review a film that I give a negative score to I end up reviewing two more soon after.  I recently watched and reviewed the Legless Corpse film A Wish for the Dead.  I was not a fan of the Nathan Thomas Milliner flick as my review would tell you.  I then followed that one up with the SRS Cinema's release of Gorotica.   This was one of the films in the Hugh Gallagher's Gore trilogy.  The next film in the trilogy was the 1994 flick Gore Whore.  This one was also released by SRS Cinemas and handled by MVD who was nice enough to send a review copy over my way.  Thanks guys for allowing me the opportunity to check this one out!
     The film follows a former police detective turned private investigator who is approached by a scientist to track down his former assistant who stole his work.   He reluctantly agrees and sets out to find her.  He visits an informant at the police department where he learns that the assistant was once a junkie and overdosed sometime before.  He is able to find her where he finds her in the cemetery using a strange gun that looks like a dildo fucking herself among the tombstones.  He watches for sometime before he is attacked by the dead that has risen from the grave.  He fights him off and is then faced with the young woman.  She is able to overpower him and he soon finds himself on the run where he flees to the young officer's home to collect himself.  He then proceeds to see the scientist that hired him only to learn that he used his secret experiment to bring her back from the dead and she is now a living vampire.
     After finally watching Gorotica and being let down I was reluctant to watch Gore WhoreGorotica could have been one hell of film but the scenes dragged out for way too long and the story could not go the length of the film.  If the film was cut down and shorter it would have been a solid entry in the trilogy.  I was concerned that Gore Whore would be the same but I was wrong.  Gore Whore was a cheap but fun trip to early 90s S.O.V. horror.  The acting in this one is a little under Gorotica but was still enjoyable.  The cast showed a lot of dedication to their roles which made several of the scenes fun.  I really enjoyed that and watching them interact with one another.  They may not be winning awards but they showed dedication and you could see them learning in each and every scene.  The story for this one I was not expecting.  With the title Gore Whore I was under the impression it would be something of a sequel to Gorotica and follow someone obsessed with death and sleeping with the dead.  The addition of the SyFy like story following a science experiment turning someone into a vampire was very enjoyable.  It did catch me off guard and the addition of the "what-the-fuck" moments made it even better.  I could see Troma releases this because of those few moments scattered throughout.  Finally, the film does have some blood and light gore but nothing memorable.  We get a pretty rad looking zombie but that is about it.  I was expecting a lot more gore and bloodshed for a film with that in the title.  This was a huge disappointment.  Overall, Gore Whore is an improvement over Gorotica.  We once again get some great characters and a solid story but this one lacked the carnage the title led you to believe.  It was still worth a watch but don't expect a blood bath.  




No comments:

Post a Comment