Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Zombie Croc (2015)


Zombie Croc (2015)
directed by:  Robert Elkins
starring:  Robert Elkins, Brittney Scalf, Apryl Crowell, Crystal Howell, Tony Jones
format:  Amazon Prime
tagline:  Evil Has Been Summoned


     I am a giant fan of these cheap ass giant monster animal movies.  Are they all "so bad it's good"?  Hell no, Shark Exorcist was absolutely painful to watch.  I have seen some people compare this movie with that one and I have no clue what they saw when they watched Shark Exorcist.  Number one, Crystal Howell was amazing.  Best actor in the film by far and none of the actors were terrible, some not so great but definitely not terrible.  The drunk Sheriff did a pretty decent job as well but really for me the shining star was Howell.  Going to look for more of her in the future. 
As far as story goes a voodoo sort of medicine man comes out of the swamps upset with the locals about something that happened to his ancestors in the past.  So of course he summons up a zombie crocodile and sends it and a legion of zombies out after the townsfolk.  They kept it pretty simple and I thoroughly enjoyed it the whole way through.  Even pausing the film which in the case of a silly movie like this I almost never do because I usually don't want or need to see every moment and nor do I care.  This one however I found enjoyable enough script wise to have the need to see all it had to offer. 
Yes this movie is cheesy and silly.  But the fx and the actors at least for me made it.  Most of these style of productions the fx are just so bad, most especially the cgi that it ruins the movie for me.  I love good cheap fx but it's a very subjective fine line.  This was not the case for me.  The gore and blood was thrown around a lot and most of it not cgi.  A clown's head was thrown up in one key scene that definitely had me giggling and then the scene with a victim walking through the swamp missing half an arm.  That effect was the best in the movie and damn good, a lot better than movies with 10 times it's budget.  The croc was pretty cheap looking overall but it was far better than some cgi croc that looked like it came from a video game.  In short I highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys cheeseball movies like Sharknado.  I definitely liked this one and am planning on purchasing it.  Last but not least some of the scenes had some gritty old projector fx added to make the movie look more authentic and for me this worked.  Anything creative like that for me is a plus. 







No comments:

Post a Comment