Friday, September 23, 2016

Gorotica


Director - Hugh Gallagher (Gore Whore, Gorgasm)
Starring - Ghetty Chasun (HorrorGirl, Vicious Kiss), Dingo Jones (Gore Whore, The Sore Losers), and Bushrude Gutterman (Damselvis, Daughter of Helvis)
Release Date - 1993
Genre - Horror/Crime
Tagline - "Neil needs him... Blake wants him... Carrie has him..."
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Until just a few years ago I was an avid VHS collector.  I loved traveling through my home state scoping out Ma and Pop video stores that are no longer open or going out of business where I could grab some analog madness.  I absolutely loved it.  This changed when I was away at college and by deadbeat sister stole all my VHS.  I assume she sold them to support her habit but I will never know.  Now, I stick to my DVDs and blus but I still keep an eye out.  I'll grab the random VHS when I'm out hunting if it's a rare one or worth something.  A few movies that I was always on the look out for is the Hugh Gallagher Gore Trilogy which consisted of Gore Whore, Gorotica, and Goregasm (not to be confused with the 2007 indie horror hit).  Those titles are easily some of the best horror titles I have ever heard or seen on a movie.  They are fucking brilliant and sell the movie.  Lucky for me, I no longer have to hunt for the films on VHS.  Recently, SRS Cinema acquired the films and will be releasing them on DVD.  Up first is the 1993 film Gorotica.
     The film follows two thieves who score a rare diamond but bring unwanted police and media attention their way.  One of them is shot during one of their run ins with the police and soon dies from the wound but not before swallowing the diamond.  They are soon found by a beautiful young woman who takes them back to her place to hide out.  She has an infatuation with death and plans on fucking the corpse of the young man.  She has her way with it and soon kidnaps the body to take to her friend who is dying of AIDs and has an agreement with her to purchase dead bodies to fuck.  The surviving jewel thief tracks her down before murdering the man with AIDs and the necrophiliac.  He is able to retrieve the lost diamond from his deceased friend only to find out that everyone that was willing to pay for the diamond is now backing out due to the heat that their actions have brought about.

       I always heard that Gorotica was a little bit of a Nekromantik clone but I was hoping it would have more story that Nekromantik offered.  Nekromantik may be a landmark film among extreme horror fans but for the avid horror fan it offers very little with the exception of shock value.  Gorotica did offer up more in the way of story but it was still a boring watch that left me wishing I would have watched Nekromanik instead.  The acting in this one is surprisingly done well.  The cast brought a lot of on screen chemistry and charm to their roles.  We get some memorable characters that fall short due to story.  The story for this one is a solid mix of no budget crime and horror but the scenes have no substance.  They quickly get to the story before dwindling down to wasted time and filler.  The story's premise is pretty simple and solid but not written well enough to sustain an hour and some odd minute movie.  Finally, the film does have a few kills. To be honest, the kills were a total let down.  I have seen my fair share of S.O.V. horror flicks and my favorite part is seeing how bad the effects are.  Sadly, this film robs us of those kind of kills.  The deaths we do get are swift with minimal effects.  Overall, Gorotica is one of those films that I wanted to see for some time only to be let down.  The cast was great and the characters were very colorful but the story just doesn't go the distance.  This film deserves at least one watch but does not have any replay value. 




No comments:

Post a Comment