Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Like Father Like Son


Director - Rod Daniel (Teen Wolf, American Pie)
Starring - Dudley Moore (Shelley Duvall's Bedtime Stories, The Adventures of Milo and Otis), Kirk Cameron (Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, Growing Pains), Margaret Colin (Gotham, True Believer)
Release Date - 1987
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

       I've watched a lot of movies over my life and I don't regret a single minutes I've spent on them.  Some were good, others were horrible, but I cherish each and every experience.  When I was younger I watched any and everything I could ranging from kid friendly television to what you can find late at night on Skinemax.  I watched a lot of stuff but I never learned the name of a lot of movies that I watched growing up.  Most of these were watched on cable with no guide.  One such film I remember watching but never learned the name of until recent years was Like Father Like Son.  This rated R comedy starring self-righteous asshole Kirk Cameron was actually pretty funny but it had been years since I seen it.  That changed when I received the 80's Beat box set from Mill Creek.
     The film follows Chris Hammond (Cameron) and his father Dr. Jack Hammond (Moore) who accidentally switch bodies when Chris' friend Trigger (Sean Astin) accidentally gives them a serum he stole from his uncle.  This happens at the worst time.  Chris has an important track meet where he has finally moved up in ranking and Dr. Hammond has a hearing to be moved to the board of directors at the hospital.  They both must act like each other in order to prevent from destroying each other's lives and learn just what its like to live in the other's shoes. 

     Honestly, I had no idea this was the film I had watched when I was younger when I tossed it in but within minutes I was able to remember the film.  I'm certain I watched this for the first time at my grandmother's while my dad was out of town.  I remember she was upset about some of the language but we both enjoyed the film for the most part.  The acting in this one is pretty fucking awesome.  Dudley Moore and Kirk Cameron both have a very demanding role and they pull it off perfectly.  Their role is very challenging but both amazing actors prevail to bring the audience two very bold characters that they will not soon forget.  The supporting cast is damn near perfect as well.  Sean Astin is great as that high wired best friend that was dominate the sex comedies of the 80s and early 90s.  He was great and brought some humor to an already funny film.  Now, lets take a second to mention how fucking hot Margaret Colin is in this film.  If you see her and don't get a boner you may need to check your pulse.  The story for this one is nothing original and is very similar to the Disney film Freaky Fridaybut with some changes.  In Freaky Friday we follow a mother/daughter duo who swap bodies.  LFLS is the same but the female characters are swapped with male characters.  The story is virtually the same but brought into a generation of comedies ushered in by the infamous Porky's.  Finally, this is not a blood and gore flick that most of you expect me to review.  Instead, we have a very story rich and character driven comedy that hits all the right notes.  The film has plenty of laughs and a couple twists that you wont see coming so check it out if you haven't already.  




No comments:

Post a Comment