Friday, May 12, 2017

The Exotic Dances of Bettie Page


Director - Irving Klaw (Teaserama, Betty's Hat Dance)
Starring - Bettie Page (Betty Page: Pin Up Queen)
Release Date - 1951 - 1956
Genre - Erotic
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Its weird how if you have an interest in or thing or a fan of something you quickly find others that share the same interests are obsessed with other random things.  Give me a moment to explain what I mean.  When I was in middle school I started to find myself obsessed with horror.  I loved it and it ruled my life.  When I went into high school I made a new friend who loved horror and exploitation just as much as I do.  He also had an obsession with Bettie Page the world famous pin up model.  He had several books, VHS, posters, and other items of hers and even made a little shrine for her.  As I got older and met more horror fans I also learned that they had a soft spot for Page as well.  Sometime ago my friends over at Cult Epics sent me the blu release of The Exotic Dances of Bettie Page.  I thought it was finally time to see what all the fuss was about.  Thanks Cult Epics for letting me check this out.
     The film is simply - we watch Bettie Page dance for 30 minutes. The film consists of 4 to 5 minute segments where Page dances different dances.  That's it. 
   






      I had no idea what to expect.  I knew Bettie was a famous pin up model but I also got the light bondage vibe from her so I assumed this was going to be a sleazy watch which is why I tossed it in after Bad, Bad, Gang.  Surprisingly the film was not and I actually enjoyed myself if you believe it or not.  There is no acting in this.   The entire film is Page dancing different dances.  Some of the dances were a little more provocative than others.  The story for this one is non-existent.  The film literally only exists to showcase Page and her influence.  Finally, as you suspected, there is no blood and gore.  Instead, we get 30 minutes of Page shaking her hips. Overall, The Exotic Dances of Bettie Page is surprisingly entertaining.  The film is so fucking simple and so effective.  It didn't make me a fan but I can respect those infatuated with her.  Check it out.  




No comments:

Post a Comment