Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Terror Firmer


Director - Lloyd Kaufman (Poultrygeist, The Toxic Avenger)
Starring - Will Keenan (Tromeo and Juliet, Chop), Alyce LaTourelle (Daredreamer, Junk), and Lloyd Kaufman
Release Date - 1999
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Let's make some art!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5): 

     Why not follow up one Troma review with another Troma review?  I recently revisited the 1990 vampire flick Def by Temptation and really enjoyed myself.  Vinegar Syndrome did a fantastic job with that release and I can see myself giving the film the attention it deserves for years to come.  After checking that out I decided to turn my attention to Troma's recent release of Kaufman's 1999 Terror Firmer.  This is one of the few Troma releases  I had yet to see.  I've owned the DVD for many years but several Troma fans told me that this was Kaufman's worst work yet.  I was always afraid of tossing it in but with the release of the new blu I decided to fire it up.  
     The film follows a blind filmmaker and his no budget film crew working on a new horror film when their set is plagued with mysterious deaths. Animosity among the cast comes to a boil as people begin to fear for their lives but in true Troma fashion the killer is revealed and nothing is as it seems.

      
     I feel stupid for sleeping on this one for all these years.  It was a fun movie but nowhere near as entertaining as other Troma releases.  I can see why so many dislike but I also found some enjoyment with it.  The acting in this one is what you would expect from a Troma release.  The character are unforgettable and fun but the acting is far from perfect.  The high energy cast mixed with the dialogue and scene makes the film funny but there is a few times when the acting is unintentionally funny.  The story for this one flows like a slasher except the tone is very much so Troma.  The slasher style is completely removed here and Troma makes it their own but it still works. I liked the killer's reveal and how the characters supported the story.  Fans of Troma will know what to expect with this one.  Finally, this one has some fantastic practical effects and some gore.  I liked the look of the practical effects and the kills.  There is several times the make-up effects made me laugh because the quality was nowhere near  that of the practical effects.  Overall, Terror Firmer is another fun Troma flick.  I wouldn't compare it to other Troma films but it does hold it's own.  The blu is a little underwhelming and almost the same quality as the DVD I have.  I tossed it in and didn't notice much of a different in quality.  Collectors may want this one for their collection but if you already own the DVD there isn't much special about this release.  

No comments:

Post a Comment