Sunday, October 13, 2019

Alligator Alley


Director - Griff Furst (Trailer Park Shark, Nightmare Shark)
Starring - Jordan Danger (CSI: Miami, A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas). Ritchie Montgomery (Santa Jaws, Dead South), and Thomas Francis Murphy (The Walking Dead, Jeepers Creepers III)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "If the rednecks don't get ya the gators will"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I survived!  I was finally able to make it through the six shark films on the Shark Bait DVD set from Mill Creek Entertainment.  All that stood in my way between me and freedom was a bonus film in the set.  This time I would not be watching CGI sharks killing people.  Instead, this bonus film is the killer gator flick Alligator Alley, aka Ragin' Cajun Redneck Gators.  I don't know if its because I had spent almost 7 hours watching shitty shark movies but this gator flick is far superior than the other films in the set.  Personally, I prefer the alternative title over Alligator Alley but who am I to say which is better?
     The film follows a young woman who returns home after graduating college.  Her family lives deep in the swamp and is constantly fighting with another family.  That family is known for their moonshine but a bad batch is disposed of in the swamp marsh turning the local gators into to mutated gators capable of biting humans and turning them into gators.  The two families but stop the feud going back decades in order to stop the redneck gators or become one of them.  
     By the time I started this movie I was ready to drink my weight in cheap beer and sleep it all off.  The movies, for the most part, were not bad but they were pretty shitty quality and my mind has had enough by this point.  However, Alligator Alley was the high point of the set and well worth the time.  The acting in this one is another one with mediocre performances and awkward dialogue.  The cast was dedicated to their roles but the characters are poorly written and portrayed.  The story for this one combines the zombie mythos of pop culture with gators creating something fun and unexpected.  I loved the people getting bit and turning into gators angle.  Sure, its cheesy as fuck but it is still fun as hell.  I also really enjoyed the whole Hatfields and McCoys angle.  This was extremely entertaining and another unexpected angle.  I appreciate this more than most where I am a West Virginia native.  Finally, we once again get no real practical effects but more CGI gators than we can shake a CGI stick at.  Nothing special but it fits the film perfectly.  Overall, Alligator Alley is the cream of the crop in this set.  Sure, its rough but still a fun watch.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment