Monday, October 21, 2019

Weird Fiction


Director - Jacob Perrett (Spine Chiller)
Starring - Taylor Rhoades (Spine Chiller), Isabella Rodriguez (Spine Chiller), and Mackenzie Anthony
Release Date - 2018
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Four tales of true terror"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     God damn I love Halloween.  I haven't got to really enjoy the holiday that much as an adult because of work and other bullshit.  Sure, I watch horror movies in abundance during October but I never really get to enjoy the holiday.  That changed this year.  My kids are now old enough to get into the Halloween season and this year I've got back into the spirit.  With Halloween just a few more days away I wanted to check out a few Halloween horror flicks.  I went ahead and turned on one I've been meaning to check out for a few days now from the team behind Spine Chiller that I recently reviewed.  Weird Fiction is a Halloween anthology from 2018 that will be finding distribution very soon.  Thank you Taylor for sending this one my way.
     The film follows a man telling stories to his audience.  The first story follows a group of kids who pick up a young woman who tells them she knows where a dead body is.  Their curiosity gets the best of them but they soon realize there is more to the story than they thought.  The second story follows a guy who is babysitter a woman's brother in return for sexual favors but their night doesn't go according to plan when something sinister lurks within the home.  The third story follows an adult film star who finds a set of puncture wounds on his neck after working with a woman on set.  Soon he finds his appetite changing and the sun is becomes more harsh on his body.  The fourth and final story follows a young woman who finds an alien and takes him in but soon the aliens true intentions are revealed.
     I went into this one high from watching Spine Chillers which is one of the catalysts behind my new found love for Halloween but I wasn't expecting that same feeling.  The anthology is a little older and from my understand it was one of their first few attempts at filmmaking.  They created a very solid anthology but the film itself doesn't capture that Halloween feel like Spine Chillers.  The acting in this one is very amateur but it's still entertaining.  The cast dedicates their all to the role and it works.  There is a few scenes that their inexperience shows but it doesn't pull away from the whole film.  A good portion of the cast moved on to Spine Chillers and you can see the growth between the two films.  The stories for these work for an anthology but it doesn't really bring that Fall/Halloween feel.  I don't know if the intentions of this anthology is to be a Halloween film or just a horror film that was first released around Halloween but the Halloween aspect is not there.  Aside from that, I really enjoyed the segments and the wraparound segment tying them all together.  It brought this Tales from the Crypt type feel to the film.  Finally, the film isn't what I would call gory but it has some blood in the film and one or two pretty fucking solid practical effects gags.  The film focuses more on horror and suspense rather than gore.  Overall, Weird Fiction is another fun anthology that has some heart and solid storytelling.  I highly recommend this little slice of horror fun.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment