Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War



Director(s) - Matt Peters (Lego DC Batman: Family Matters, Scooby-Doo! Shaggy's Showdown) and Christina Sotta (Harley Quinn)
Starring - Matt Ryan (Constantine, Legends of Tomorrow), Jerry O'Connell (Sliders, Joe's Apartment), and Tony Todd (Night of the Living Dead, Candyman)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Sci-Fi
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     I was never a DC fan growing up.  While most of my friends were going on and on about Batman and Superman, I found myself digging the entire Marvel Universe.  That changed when I was in high school.  I found a love for Green Lantern and Flash.  I can't tell you why but they are my favorite DC characters by far and I prefer them over any Marvel character.  In recent years I've found myself really enjoying the DC animated movies.  I absolutely love the ones that are aimed to their adult audience with the first Justice League Dark being by favorite.  That is until I got Justice League Dark: Apokolips War in for review.  I was not expecting such a brutal DC animated movie but I fucking loved it!
     The film follows the Justice League on a botched mission to stop Darkseid on his home planet.  He rips through most of the Justice League but a few members escape.  Superman has a kryptonite insignia engraved on his chest to stop him from using his powers, Constantine teleports back to Earth where he becomes an alcoholic and the ones rest that survive go into hiding or are captured by Darkseid and turned into his mindless slaves.  He uses them, with the reluctant help of Lex Luther, to harvest the Earth's core for his own evil needs.  Superman teams up with Raven to try to find Batman's son Damien so they can use his influence to reach Batman was is brainwashed by Darkseid.  With just a matter of time before Darkseid destroys the world they must band together, hero and villain, in order to stop the Earth from being destroyed.  
     The first Justice League Dark movie was fucking amazing but even knowing how dark that movie was could not have prepared me for the brutality of this one.  This is the DC universe intended for adults and I couldn't get enough.  The voice acting in this one is hit or miss.  To this day I'm still shocked at how great Jerry O'Connell is as the voice of Superman.  It took a few films to get accustomed to it but he really is a good choice in the role even though previous reviews show that I was too critical on him.  It's also great to see Matt Ryan return as Constantine.  He was the live action incarnation as Constantine and it's great to see DC give him life through Ryan.  The rest of the cast is solid as well but I just wasn't feeling horror legend Tony Todd as Darkseid.  He's a talented actor that many horror fans have grown up with but his voice just didn't fit the character.  The story for this one is bleak but enthralling.  I knew Justice League Dark would be a darker approach to the DC universe but I was not expecting the amount of carnage that we got.  I was glued to my screen and I couldn't look away.  You get the standard comic cheese at times but if you stick with it the payoff is well worth it.  The pacing is smooth and you will barely find yourself bored with the film.  Finally, the animation looks fantastic.  It that style and look that you would expect from the recent DC films but works with the blood and gore tossed in.  Overall, Justice League Dark: Apokolips War is not a movie for the whole family.  It's bloody, gruesome, and completely throws characters your know and love into a woodchipper.  With that being said, it was so much fun and easily my favorite film of the year.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment