Thursday, July 16, 2020

VFW


Director - Joe Begos (Bliss, The Mind's Eye)
Starring - Stephen Lang (Don't Breathe, Tombstone), William Sadler (Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight), and Fred Williamson (From Dusk till Dawn, Hammer)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Action/Horror
Tagline - "It's gonna get bloody"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     Late last year or earlier in this year I had several friends talk about Joe Begos' Bliss and how it was their favorite horror film of the year so far.  I had yet to see it but sometime later Umbrella Entertainment announced their release of the film.  I was excited to check it out but walked away from it feeling disappointed.  It was a solid horror film but nowhere near the caliber of horror I was lead to believe.  Fast forward a few weeks and the trailer for Begos' newest film VFW drops.  I was all over that fucking thing.  I had to see it.  I was unable to get it in for review but the second it was available in stores I made a (masked) Wal-Mart run to snag a copy.  I had to sit on it for awhile until I could make time for it but the second I could I tossed it in.
     The film follows a group of Vietnam, Korean, and currently enlisted veterans drinking at the local VFW when they are interrupted by a young punk that had just stole drugs from a drug kingpin.  He tracks the thief to the VFW and sends in his drug addled punks to kill everyone and get his drugs back.  What he doesn't count on is that these old war vets refuse to die easily and a war between the street punks and tired veterans wages on in the parking lot of the VFW.  
     I was really looking forward to this one.  The trailer painted a bloody picture for the film and I have to say that it lived up to it.  Sure, it was a little full of itself and seemed a little high on it's own farts but it was still a highly entertaining film.  The acting in this one is fucking perfect.  Stephen Lang is a fucking legend and he absolutely slays in his role as the veteran turned bartender.  He's always has this look about him like he utters the phrase "fucking do it" several times a day.  His supporting cast is just as stellar.  George Wendt, Fred Williamson, William Sadler, and so on are fantastic.  I loved all the characters and I find myself thinking about some of the scenes several days later.  The story for this one is satire mixed with classic street justice action films from the 80s.  I know most of you are friends with older people who claim millennials and gen y are all druggies who don't work.  I see them all the time and look forward to their horrible memes while I'm pooping.  VFW feels like someone made that mentality a reality where we follow these bad ass older war vets as they battle the hordes of drugged out punks.  Honestly, I found it funny and it fucking works.  The cast is 100 percent dedicated to their roles and the story really holds your attention very well.  The slower segments even out very well with story development and progression.  The director really uses every minute of the film to tell the story instead of wasting the viewer's time.  Finally, this film is very fucking bloody with some of the most entertaining kills I've seen in recent years.  Begos really brought the carnage with this film.  The effects for these kills are top fucking notch and really sell the scene for horror fans.  Overall, VFW is a little high on it's own brand but the film really is worth your time.  Honestly, I really enjoyed this bloody mess and can see myself tossing it in again real soon.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment