Thursday, July 30, 2020

Peninsula


Director - Sang-ho Yeon (Train to Busan, Seoul Station)
Starring - Dong-Won Gang (Haunters, The Priests), Jung-hyun Lee (Alice in Earnestland, Route 7), and John D. Michaels (Steel Rain, Vagabond)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "4 years later..."
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I recently found myself with a little time to kill so I decided to finally spin 2016's Train to Busan.  I was afraid it was over-hyped but I fucking loved it.  It was insanely fun and I found myself wanting to spin it again immediately after checking it out.  One of the reasons I decided to give it a go was because I was asked to review the new sequel Peninsula.  I had doubts that the follow up would be as fun as the first film but I was wrong.  It has been sometime when a film and it's sequel left me feeling incomplete until I watched it again.  Honestly, the last time I felt this high on a movie was the day I watched Pacific Rim three time.  I know the sequel was not as fun but Train to Busan and Peninsula were great movie experiences.  I'm so glad I was asked to review it.
     The film takes place four years after the first film.  The Peninsula of South Korea is now a warzone cut off from the rest of the world.  Those left behind are forced to fight for survival against the thousands of zombies still roaming the streets.  We follow a former soldier, his brother in law, and two others who are tasked with going back to the Peninsula and retrieving a van holding several million dollars.  This is no easy task as the undead are still roaming the streets and the survivors don't take too kindly to intruders.
     Peninsula is a fantastic movie.  This post-apocalyptic zombie movie is parts Land of the Dead meets Mad Max.  It's an absolute blast and so much fun that the flaws you will find do not take away from the film.  The acting in this one is just as good as the first film.  The characters are a little more dark and sinister when compared to the first film but the cast does a fantastic job.  Some of the emotions miss their marks due to the fact that the viewer has to read subtitles and misses some things in the scene.  It does take away some from the experience but not enough to ruin the film.  The story for this one is a solid continuation of the first film.  It does take place 4 years later but I liked where they went with it.  It reminded me a lot of Land of the Dead and some of the obvious scenes was very Mad Max inspired.  The pacing is great and even when the scene is slower it still holds your attention with what is going on.  Finally, this is not a gory one but we do get plenty of blood and kills you would associate with a zombie flick.  The practical and make-up effects are great but the visual effects are very goofy.  Honestly, that is my only real complaint with this film.  The visuals are so bad.  Overall, Peninsula is a must watch for any fans of the first film.  It is a worthy sequel and I pray we get more installments.  There is so much story left for this one and we need to see them!  Check this one out as soon as you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment