Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Train to Busan


Director - Sang-ho Yeon (Seoul Station, Peninsula)
Starring - Yoo Gong (The Suspect, Like a Dragon), Yu-mi Jung (Visitors, Psychokinesis), and Dong-seok Ma (The Eternals, The Outlaws)
Release Date - 2016
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Life-or death survival begins"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     I'm always late to hit movies.  I love and respect my horror brothers and sisters but I know my tastes in movies are always different than theirs.  I tend to like bad movies which often draws me criticism.  Regardless, I like what I like which is why I often disregard films that the all praise.  I know my taste clashes with them and most of these so called "must see" movies usually let me down.  A few years ago the South Korean zombie flick Train to Busan made waves through the horror community.  I figured it was worth the hype but I was still skeptical so I put off checking it out.  Sometime last year, or the year before, I found the blu at Big Lots for a few dollars and figured I would snag it to add to my collection.  With the sequel's release just around the corner I was asked to review it.  So, before I gave it a spin I needed to watch the original.  I didn't NEED to review the first one but I thought that if I took the time to watch it then I might as well talk about it.
     The film follows a father and daughter as they make a train ride from Seoul to Busan but encounter a horde of zombies that turns this casual day trip into a living nightmare.
     It's not often that a horror movie lives up to the hype but Train to Busan did.  I couldn't take my eyes off the damn thing and I still can't stop thinking about it.  I would be lying if I said it was the best zombie film I've seen but I'll be damned if it's not in the top 5.  The acting in this one works for the film.  It's a little difficult to really pay attention to the acting if you are forced to read subtitles but the cast does a great job.  The story for this one is simple enough but the characters are so well written and developed that you can't help but feel pulled in.  The writing is very well done and and as a father I found myself very invested in this one.  I love when a movie exploits a parent's love for their child.  It really makes it personal and have a harder impact on the viewer.  Finally, the film has plenty of blood.  I wouldn't call this a gory flick but there is plenty of blood along with the wounds you associate with a zombie film.  The practical effects looks great and the make-up effects are awesome.  There is some visual effects that look rather silly but this does not drag the film down at all.  Overall, Train to Busan is a god damn masterpiece.  I know this review is too late and most of you have seen it but if just one of you decides to check it out for the first after reading this then I did my job.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment