Saturday, July 11, 2020

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge


Director - Ethan Spaulding (Avatar: The Last Airbender, Mike Tyson Mysteries)
Starring - Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter, Quarantine), Joel McHale (Community, The Happytime Murders), and Jordan Rodrigues (Lady Bird, Light as a Feather)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Action
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) 

Rating (out of 5):

     I was born in the mid-80s but I grew up in the 90s.  I love absolutely everything from the 80s but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love my childhood.  I grew up with some awesome movies like Space Jam and Heavyweights, awesome shows like Are You Afraid of the Dark? and Goosebumps, and games like Mortal Kombat.  I was a huge MK fan growing up and would often spend my weekends playing it on Genesis with my older brother.  I grew up playing them all and enjoying the movies as well.  I know some people don't care for the latter but I liked 'em.  A few weeks back WB released a new animated Mortal Kombat film.  Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge looks awesome and I couldn't wait to check it out and review.  I'm glad I did because it was a fantastic addition to the Mortal Kombat line.
     The film is set against the backdrop of a tournament between Earthrealm and Outworld.  Outworld is about to win their 10th straight tournament and it's up to Raiden and his team to stop them.  However, there is vengeful grandmaster, Scorpion, who will stop at nothing to kill those responsible for slaughter his people.  
     I recently watched Justice League Dark: Apokolips War and was really fucking impressed by what I saw.  The animated film really caught me off guard and I couldn't get enough of it.  I was expecting WB to give this Mortal Kombat animated movie the same treatment.  It didn't let me down and I really enjoyed it.  I really enjoyed the voice acting in this one.  I'm not a fan of Jennifer Carpenter but she did an awesome job voicing the iconic Sonya Blade while Joel McHale really threw me for a loop.  Was not expecting to see his name in the credits.  The voice casting in this one is spot on and the entire cast does a phenomenal job.  The story for this one is a retelling of the classic story that brings the iconic characters like Liu Kang, Sonya Blade, Johnny Cage, and so on but we get the highly anticipated origin story of MK's most popular character, Scorpion.  It works for what it is but I would have loved an entire origin story on Scorpion over having it mesh with the beginning of the saga that we already know.  This made the film feel like it was two separate ideas pushed together to hit run time.  Finally, the animation is solid and in the same style as the recent DC films which makes sense considering.  I liked the way the characters looked and the action was great.  We get some in-depth looks at some of the fatalities and gore which is another nod to the game franchise.  Overall, Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge is a great adult themed animated film that gives us some backstory on one of gaming's most played character.  Sure, it could have been more in-depth but it was entertaining for what it is.  I highly suggest checking this one out as soon as you can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment