Thursday, July 8, 2021

Cyclone


Director - Rene Cardona Jr. (Treasure of the Amazon, The Bermuda Triangle)
Starring - Arthur Kennedy (Cave of the Sharks, Dirty World), Carroll Baker (Kindergarten Cop, Thriller), and Lionel Stander (The Transformers: The Movie, Treasure Island)
Release Date -1978
Genre - Action/Adventure
Tagline - "The terror storm was only the beginning... but the sharks would be the merciless end"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I started the Rene Cardona Jr. triple feature I was really looking forward to checking out Treasure of the Amazon.  I started with that one and really enjoyed it.  However, the same can not be said for the second film in the set, The Bermuda Triangle.  It was a chore to finish but it did had a few fun moments.  I was on the fence with Cyclone after I watched the half-assed Bermuda Triangle but once I tossed in it I was surprised to see that this was the best film in the set.  I was not prepared for this hard hitting natural disaster masterpiece.  The Cardona Collection Vol. 1 was worth the price for this film alone!
     The film follows a group of tourists afloat on the open sea when a freak cyclone damages their vessel.  Sometime goes by and they find a small raft afloat with more survivors of a sunken ship and a downed aircraft.  They quickly find themselves without water and food.  When they start to die from the heat and malnutrition they result to cannibalism in order to survive.  
     I went into this one assuming it was going to be as stale as the other Cardona flick from 1978 but I was wrong.  Very wrong.  Cyclone had a straight forward story that had me sitting on the edge of my seat.  The acting in this one is phenomenal.  The cast was put through what looks like pure hell to pull off these shots.  Their dedication to their roles could never be questioned and the characters they portrayed were so enjoyable.  I loved the cast and they were a major factor in my love for this film.  The story for this one is so straight forward but the atmosphere and tension is so well done that you find yourself inching forward in your seat as the scene progresses.  The last 40 minutes or so of the film is absolutely fantastic and the dark realities of survival really makes this movie a must see for genre fans.  Finally, the film has plenty of blood and some light practical effects but they are not the center of the scene like most horror films.  Instead, the story and characters are the focus much like the rest of the film.  Overall, Cyclone is a fantastic film with a gripping story and an amazing cast.  This is the jewel of this set and I highly recommend it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment