Sunday, July 4, 2021

Sheets of Gore


Director - Todd Sheets (Bonehill Road, Dreaming Purple Neon)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     No one can question director Todd Sheet's dedication to the genre.  He started his career almost forty years ago and is still going strong.  Since 1985 he has unleashed several cult classics like Zombie Rampage, Fear of the Dark, Hi-8, and many more.  When SRS announced a release of some early shorts from Sheets titled Sheets of Gore I was really interested in checking it out.  I missed the blu release from SRS but when I saw that it was getting a mass DVD release as part of their retro line I quickly reached out to MVD to review it.  I want to thank MVD and SRS for sending me a copy to review.
     The film consists of shorts ranging from vampires to the undead attacking teens.  
     I was looking forward to checking this out hoping it would be just as fun as SRS' releases of the Polonia Brothers earliest films.  While I did enjoy a good bit of those early Polonia releases I struggled to finish Sheets of Gore.  I respect what Sheets was doing especially at an early age but these segments were pretty predictable and tough to finish.  The acting in these segments are energetic but very inexperienced.  They fully dedicate themselves to their roles but they are awkward to watch a lot of the time.  It's fun at times and awkward at others.   Mostly awkward though.  The shorts are simple enough but nothing we haven't seen before.  I liked the idea behind a lot of these shorts but the execution and acting made them difficult to finish.  Finally, the film has a lot of blood and cheap effects that I actually enjoyed.  I liked the look even though you can see the inexperience and no budget.  When I started my genre obsession I became a huge fan of indie flicks and the creativity behind the practical effects is always fun to see.  Overall, Sheets of Gore was not that fun of a watch but it was interesting to see Sheets' humble beginning and seeing how far he has come.  Collectors and fans of Sheets may want to snag this one but if you are looking for a new one to watch I would recommend something else.  


No comments:

Post a Comment