Saturday, July 31, 2021

Mulva 2: Kill Teen Ape!


Director - Chris Seaver (Ski Wolf, Geek War)
Starring - Debbie Rochon (Killer Rack, She Wolf Rising), Meredith Host (Return to Blood Fart Lake, Evil Night), and Lauren Seavage (Moist Fury, The House on Bonejack Hill)
Release Date - 2005
Genre - Action/Comedy
Tagline - "Mulva is back... and this time she's kicking monkey ass"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):


     I've met a lot of genre fans that love Chris Seaver and his films.  I've also met several people who don't care for his style of films.  I can understand that because some people like horror to be on the serious side while others love to blend horror and comedy.  I love goofy horror and Seaver's brand of comedy works for me but there has been a few of his films that just didn't work for me.  After watching Mulva on blu it only made sense to hit play on Mulva 2: Kill Teen Ape!  
     The film takes place five years after the first films where Mulva is considered a hero of Tromaville after the zombie attack.  However, Teen Ape is jealous of her new found popularity and tricks her into meeting him at a secluded location with the promise of treats.  When she arrives she is brutally beat and left for dead by Teen Ape and his henchmen.  Now, Mulva is out of her coma and ready to even the score. 
     I know my initial viewing of the first Mulva film was not a fun experience but I enjoyed it more revisiting.  However, this is the first time I've seen this sequel and I have to say that I'm not really a fan of it.  I found a good bit of it funny but some of it felt forced and repetitive.  I wanted to love it but I just can't.   The acting in this one is exactly what you would expect from a Low Budget Picture's release.  The characters are extremely colorful, funny, and charismatic.  They stand out and definitely deliver some memorable moments.  A lot of the characters are parodies of some of the Kill Bill characters, which the film is a parody if you didn't pick up on it.  The cast really goes all in and it shows in each scene.  The story for this one is a Seaver spin on Kill Bill.  It almost works but it does feel like a lot of the gags are a bit of stretch.  I loved how wild the characters are and the dialogue is funny but the scenes fall a little short.  There is so many different possibilities with a story like this but the way Seaver approached it left so much on the table.  Finally, the film has some blood here and there and the typical no budget effects that most indie films like this utilize but nothing that really stands out.  The focus of this one is on story and the character development but not so much the effects.  Overall, Mulva 2 was a bit of an ambitious film for an indie production but I wasn't really a fan.  It has some laughs and a few familiar faces but that's it.  I can recommend more entertaining Seaver films to enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment