Monday, July 19, 2021

The Carnivores


Director - Caleb Michael Johnson (Root, Joy Kevin)
Starring - Lindsay Burdge (XX, Tears of God), Tallie Medel (Dick Pics! A Documentary, Basic Witch), and Frank Mosley (The Ghost Who Walks, The Prowler)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Thriller/Comedy
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I enjoy the trashy side of cinema.  I love indie flicks that have crazy stories with characters that you can find on Saturday morning cartoons and so much blood that you can barely tell what is going on in the scene.  Most people, especially friends of mine in the horror community, say that I love stupid movies and I wouldn't argue with them.  I love sleazy and stupid movies.  However, there is the random film that I get that is a little artsy and beautiful while delivering a story I typically wouldn't enjoy that catches me by surprise.  A few weeks ago I received a press release for the 2020 film The Carnivores from Dark Sky Films.  It looked interesting enough so I requested a copy.  After watching three Shout/Scream Factory releases I figured it was time to spin this one.\
     The film follows a young lesbian couple who have an ailing dog that is prone to running away.  However, when the dog fails to return home one day it puts a strain on their relationship.  The relationship is further strained when one of them begins to sleep walk and suspects that her meat obsession has forced her to eat the dog in her sleep.
     The Carnivores is a movie that I really enjoyed but I can't say I loved it.  It was fun with a quirky and somewhat dark story with a modern couple that a lot of indie horror flicks would ignore.  I really enjoyed but I'll be completely honest and admit that this is one that I don't see myself revisiting.  The acting in this one is pretty fun.  The two leads, Lindsay Burdge and Tallie Medel, were great together.  Their on screen chemistry was very real which really sold the couple angle.  They gave the viewer something fun to watch without feeling like a generic lesbian couple.  They had unique personalities and sold the story.  The supporting cast was just as fun.  The story for this one is not your conventional horror film.  The movie has a simple yet chaotic feel to it that unfolds beautifully before the viewer's eyes.  The character progression works perfectly with the story progression before we hit a weird ending that works with the quirkiness of the film.  With that being said, once you've seen this one you will not have a desire to revisit it.  It has zero replay value.  Finally, the film doesn't shy away from the blood but if you are expecting a bloody and gory flick then you will be disappointed.  The final scene is a lot of fun with a lot of the red stuff but that is the only exception.  Overall, The Carnivores was a fun watch that some will enjoy more than others.  It's a unique title that I recommend check it out.  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment