Thursday, March 24, 2022

Anal Paprika 3: Menage-A-Death



Director - Chris Seaver (Ski Wolf, Phantom of the Grindhouse)
Starring - Chris Seaver, Casey Bowker (Resident Horror, Carnage for the Destroyer), and Lori Swierczek (Anal Paprika, Anal Paprika 2: Vampire Killers)
Release Date - 2001
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     I know it was several years ago now but I don't remember watching the third Anal Paprika but I was still looking forward to revisiting it.  I absolutely love the first film and while the second film had plenty of room for improvement it was still very enjoyable.  It reminded me a lot of the vampire flicks I watched while I was in high school during the early 2000s from companies like Brain Damage.  Because I couldn't remember this final installment I was a little more excited to dig into it than the others.
     The film once again follows brothers Johnsimon (Seaver) and Alfred (Bowker) along with their carpet munching friend Toddy (Swierczek) who once again find themselves in the middle of another life threatening adventure.  While preparing for a Troma retrospective they uncover a coven a witches who have big plans for them and their souls.  
     Menage-A-Death is more of the same from AP: Vampire Killers.  It is more of a story driven film with humor and those lovable characters where the first film was clearly a parody that was more focused on the comedy.  It was enjoyable but, much like the second film, I don't see myself revisiting it anytime soon.  The acting in this one is essentially the same as the first two films.  The characters are having a lot of fun on camera acting with their friends. They are very comfortable with each other and it shows.  They deliver some funny one liners and so forth but at the end of the day it's very amateurish.  However, I'm not complaining because I have a lot of fun with it.  The story for this one once again reminds me of the indie and no budget horror titles that companies like Brain Damage, Pendulum Pictures, and Tempe Video which makes sense considering Tempe releases several other films from Seaver around that time.  The film has the same type of humor that you would expect from The Seavage and Low Budget Pictures with a story centered around a coven of witches and lesbians.  It's not a compelling story but it works especially if you are a fan of no budget horror.  Finally, we get a little blood but don't expect amazing gore and great practical effects.  It works for this type of film but it's nothing amazing.  Overall, Menage-A-Death is a solid entry in the Anak Paprika series but when you compare it to the original short it does come up short.  I loved the original idea behind it and the fact that Seaver never fully explored these is a damn shame.  It's still a fun watch so check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment