Sunday, March 13, 2022

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death (True)2


Director(s) - Hideaki Anno (Shin Godzilla, Gamera 1999), Masayuki (Revival of Evangelion, Manga Entertainment: The Art of Anime), and Kazuya Tsurumaki (The Dragon Dentist, Kill la Kill)
Starring - Megumi Ogata (Love Deeply, Tokyo ESP), Megumi Hayashibara (Pokemon: The First Movie, Pokemon), and Yuko Miyamura (Battle Royale, Berserk)
Release Date - 1997
Genre - Sci-Fi/Action
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Earlier in the week I started my adventure of watching my first anime series.  A few weeks back Shout Factory, on behalf of their GKids label, sent over a review copy of their Neon Genesis Evangelion series.  I've never been into anime but I was open to it so I decided to watch it while I played Elden Rings.  Honestly, I found myself focusing more on the show than the game and eventually turned the game off to watch the show.  I fucking loved it and now have a massive cart full of animes to order from Amazon.  The release from GKids also included two films in with the special features.  As soon as I finished the series I quickly made my way to the special features to watch the two films.  The first was Death (True)2 from 1997.
     The "film" is an hour long retelling of the show consisting of segments from the show edited into a more condensed form.  
     What the fuck is this horseshit! I was fully prepared to dig into a feature length Neon Genesis Evangelion film but what I was given was a rehashing of the series.  If you needed a refresher on the show before watching a new movie then this one would have been pretty solid.  However, after just finishing the show and hitting play on this I have to say that I'm very disappointed.  The voice acting in this one is exactly what you get in the series because...it is episodes from the series trimmed down.  No need to really go in depth here because if you are reading this then your probably already read my review on the series.  The story for this one is, as I stated earlier, episodes from the show trimmed down to highlight the important parts.  The film is around an hour long so a lot of character development and arching themes from the series has been removed.  Finally, the animation is the same as the show but we don't get to enjoy a lot of the action and bloody moments like the series.  Overall, Death (TRUE)2 is a huge waste of time.  It's cool that it's part of the release but I would never recommend this one to anyone to watch.  It's a huge waste of time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment