Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Shriekshow


Director - Brad Twigg (Killer Campout, WrestleMassacre)
Starring - Julio Bana Fernandez (Harvest of Horrors, WrestleMassacre), James L. Edwards (Bloodletting, Her Name Was Christa), and Rick Jermain (Blood Summer Camp, Milfs vs. Zombies)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Welcome to the scariest show on Earth!"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Brad Twigg and his Fuzzy Monkey Films has released some of the most impressive indie horror films of recent years.  He has tackled zombies, slasher, anthologies, and more slashers and anthologies.  He's one hell of a filmmaker and whenever he announces a new film you can bet your sweet ass and half a tit that I'm going to be excited for it.  Sometime ago Twigg announced his newest film Shriekshow with some awesome cameos from some of horror's favorite stars.  I was hooked on the film and couldn't wait to see it.  I've been constant in sharing news from the film and a few days ago Brad hit me up to review it.  I couldn't say no and as soon as I had time for it I hit play on it.  I want to thank Brad and Fuzzy Monkey Films for sending this one over to check out.  
     The film follows four twenty-somethings who dress up for Halloween and visit an old abandoned carnival that is supposedly haunted.  When they arrive they encounter the ringmaster who tells them several stories before revealing that their Halloween trespassing trip has set in motion the beginning of the end for them.
     I somehow missed the part where Shriekshow was an anthology film when I covered it for the site.  I either looked over it or time erased my memory.  Regardless, I'm a huge fan of anthologies and Twigg has no disappointed me in the past with his anthology films.  Shriekshow is probably his best anthology to date.  I would be lying if I said it was my favorite film of his but it was a fantastic flick that he should be very proud of.  The acting in this one is uneven but not bad.  In fact, I really enjoyed it for the most part.  When it comes to anthologies, especially ones where different directors helm various segments, you find some are better acted than others.  Considering that Twigg directed all these segments it is a little strange that some are a little better acted than others.  We see several familiar faces that have appeared in several other Fuzzy Monkey films along with genre legends like Sleepaway Camp's Felissa Rose, A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master's Tuesday Knight, and Return of the Living Dead's Beverly Randolph.  The cast is fairly experienced and everyone gives it their all but some segments are better acted than others.  The stories for this one are a lot of fun but the film doesn't really deliver that Halloween vibe that it's going for.  I didn't realize the film was meant to take place on Halloween prior to my initial viewing but the film doesn't really try to make it that obvious either.  Sure, the wraparound segment is nestled nicely in a Halloween centered story but that is it.  With that being said, I enjoyed the segments for the most part but there was a few minor issues I had with them.  The segment following the backwoods cult and the two detectives is probably my favorite segment  I fucking love backwood slashers and anything cult centered so this was a great segment.  It was a little too short for it's own good and I really do think that Twigg has the basis for a fantastic feature film if he takes the time to expand on it.  The segment centered around the beautiful ladies camping could have been a sleazy good time but there just wasn't enough story to pull me in.  Don't get me wrong, it doesn't take a lot of story to make a sleazy short fun but this one just didn't do much for me aside from the eye candy.  The segment following the young man who witnesses a clown butcher his family and friends at his birthday party is a solid entry.  It's a mental health centered horror tale that works.  It's one of the few segments that actually works as a short.  The last segment in the film follows a group of aging men who want to do a little fishing in the country.  However, they soon find themselves face to face with a female monster and the brother who has been feeding it.  This is another segment that I enjoyed but feel as if it was shortened down to fit the film.  I see a much bigger story waiting that I hope Twigg expands on in the future.  Finally, it wouldn't be a Fuzzy Monkey film if it didn't have some gnarly deaths and great practical effects.  The deaths don't really stand out but the practical effects and gore look great.  Indie horror fans will truly appreciate the hard work that went into pulling these off.  Overall, Shriekshow is another fantastic film from Brad Twigg and Fuzzy Monkey Films.  I would love to see some of the segments followed up in feature length films but I enjoyed it as it was.  I wouldn't say it's essential viewing for Halloween but it's a horror anthology I would recommend for some late night chills.  Check it out when you get the chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment