Thursday, March 24, 2022

Anal Paprika


Director - Chris Seaver (Filthy McNasty, Die-B-Que)
Starring - Chris Seaver, Casey Bowker (Ski Wolf, The Weirdsies), and Lori Swierczek (Anal Paprika 2: Vampire Killers, Anal Paprika 3: Menage-a-Death)
Release Date - 1999
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "The movie Yohan doesn't want you to see"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):


     I've been a fan of filmmaker Chris Seaver for sometime now.  There is a few films of his that I don't really care for but most of his catalogue are fantastic.  His brand of humor just resonates with me and his films are a lot of fun.  Over the years I've been lucky enough to collect his films on DVD and occasionally on blu.  However, in recent months he has started upgrading his films to blu and periodically releasing them.  One of the releases he put out on blu was the Anal Paprika trilogy.  These are movies I've owned for sometime on DVD and couldn't wait to revisit them.  As soon as The Seavage was taking orders for the release I snagged one.  I couldn't watch it right away but as soon as I had the time I tossed them in.
     The film follows three dorky friends who decide to go for a hike through the local woods.  While there they tell each other stories about the local legend about a mentally disturbed man who reached his breaking point as a child when his father forced him to watch 80s and 90s sitcoms.  Now, he's homicidal and obsessed with John Stamos.  After learning about the legend they find themselves face to face with the menace.
     Anal Paprika is a short that sells it's self short.  It's a fun short but I could see so much more coming from it.  Don't get me wrong, I find the short to be very entertaining but a feature length slasher parody following a John Stamos obsessed killer is exactly what I need in my life.  It works as a short but it could have been a slasher for the ages if it was feature length.  The acting in this one is exactly what you would expect from a Chris Seaver film.  The characters are all full of energy and comical.  They deliver fun dialogue and it's clear they are all friends in real life because their on screen chemistry is amazing.  The story for this one is fucking brilliant.  Seaver is a huge nostalgia nerd so I'm not surprised that he created a story following a maniac obsessed with John Stamos.  It's funny and works but I feel like it's just a little too short.  Seaver could have easily turned this short into a feature length film.  Instead, it's a short and once the joke is explored we find it over.  Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great short with so many laughs but the thought that we could have been given a slasher where a killer is stabbing people while quoting Uncle Jesse makes me extremely sad.  Finally, the film has a few deaths but the film's no budget dictated the effects.  It's not as bloody as I would have liked but the humor more than made up for the lack of carnage.  Overall, Anal Paprika is short and sweet.  I had a lot of fun with it and the creativity in the story really exemplifies what makes Seaver's films so much fun.  I highly recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment