Monday, March 7, 2022

Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters


Director - Kimiyoshi Yasuda (Ghost Story: Depth of Kasane, Sleepy Eyes of Death: In the Spider's Lair)
Starring - Shinobu Araki (Satan's Sword 3: The Final Chapter, The Temple of Wild Geese), Saburo Date (Song of the Devil, Wolf Guy), and Jun Fujimaki (Demon Spies, Daimajin)
Release Date - 1968
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "A fantastic world unlike anything you have ever seen!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Several months ago Arrow Video announced the release of the Yokai Monsters box set.  The artwork really caught my attention so I quickly looked into the movies to see what they were like.  After checking out a few trailers I knew I would fucking love them.  I reached out to MVD, who was handling the American releases for Arrow, to see about reviewing it.  When the standard edition was gearing up for release they were kind enough to send the box set my way for review.  After watching Mondo Macabro's Hiruko the Goblin I figured now was as good enough time as any to finally check them out.  I want to thank MVD and Arrow Video for sending this amazing set my way.  
     The film follows a small village who are moving out of their traditional values into a more modern lifestyle.  A local business owner wants to tear down an ancient shrine in order to build a brothel but refuses to surrender to local legends.  He listens to a village elder tell the story of the 100 monsters but still doesn't believe it.  Soon the village is overrun by the 100 monsters from lore.
     I knew 100 Monsters was going a bit different but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.  I loved the look of the film and the light humor does find it's mark without taking away from the story and pacing.  It is a very enjoyable film especially if you don't take it so seriously.  The acting in this one is so much fun.  The film is full of colorful characters and energetic performances.  I loved the characters and the cast does a fantastic job bringing them to life.  As fun as the story is, it's the characters that makes the film as enjoyable as it is.  The story for this one is a lot of fun.  It's not a horror film per'se but it is a fun fantasy comedy with monsters.  The monsters are not scary or bone chilling but I really enjoyed the lore behind them and how they were used in the story.  I thoroughly enjoyed the pacing, use of humor to break up the scene, and the backstory they delivered.  Character development is put in the bac burner here but it's not something that completely ruin the experience.  Finally, the film has some great make-up effects and puppets along with some classic camera tricks to make the gag effective.  I liked most of the monsters and their look but the lack of blood was a bit disappointing.  Overall, 100 Monsters was not the movie I was expecting but I had so much fucking fun with it.  Horror hipsters may bitch about it but for those of you that are looking for something fun to watch will appreciate this late 60s flick.  I recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment