Monday, December 12, 2022

Grindhouse Gospel 2



Director - Rowdy Riter (Grindhouse Gospel)
Starring - Rowdy Riter, Tanner James, and Jesse Rothhammer
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (YouTube)

Rating (out of 5):


     I will always have a soft spot for indie horror. Watching filmmakers learn, grow, and express themselves through film is always a highlight of reviewing films. Not all indie productions find their mark with me, but I can always find something to appreciate in everyone unless it’s just a lazy release. A few months ago, aspiring filmmaker Rowdy Ritter hot me up to review his short Grindhouse Gospel. I fucking loved the name and decided to check it out. The film did lack in the story department, but I liked the style and camera work. A few weeks back Rowdy messaged me with a link to his new sequel Grindhouse Gospel 2. I was curious to see where this one would go so I accepted to review it. Thanks for sending it over Rowdy! 
      The film once again follows a man after committing murder who disposes of the body. However, instead of laying low for risk of being caught, he chose violence once again and his body count rises.    
     Grindhouse Gospel is not going to be for everyone. Hell, it’s not going to be for a lot of people but for those of you that enjoy no budget tributes to films long gone then you may appreciate what Rowdy brings to the table. The film has that grindhouse western feel that was popular in mid to late 70s exploitation flicks and popularized again when Robert Rodriguez was showing this influence in his films. I liked it but it could have used a little more substance with the story. The acting in this one has plenty of room for improvement but far from the worst I’ve seen. The cast is relatively small and everyone is fully committed to their roles but there was a few instances where the interactions or the scene was a bit awkward to watch. The story for this one is rather lacking. It’s more or less, an 20 minute extension of the first film which could easily be added with the original short and still retain it’s original structure. I would have liked to see a bit more character development and an actual plot but it was still decent as it is. Finally, the film has some blood but those of you looking for a body count and memorable practical effects will be very disappointed. Overall, Grindhouse Gospel has a look that I really dug and was enjoyable for a 20 minute flick. I would have liked to see a little more plot with it but it was decent for what it was. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment