Monday, December 12, 2022

Mortal Kombat Legends: Snow Blind


Director - Rick Morales (Batman vs. Two Face, Lego Scooby-Doo!: Haunted Hollywood)
Starring - Manny Jacinto (Top Gun: Maverick, Brand New Cherry Flavor), David Wenham (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, 300), and Artt Butler (Rhett and Link's Buddy System, Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Action/Adventure
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I grew up with the Mortal Kombat franchise. I was in elementary school when the first game was released. I remember renting the first two games on Sega Genesis on the weekends when my brother would visit. When the first movie was released, I wasn’t able to make it to theaters due to the ridiculous long drive but that was another MK item that I often rented from the local video store. Hell, I even liked the second MK film even though it was hated by most. In recent years I’ve fall back in love with the Mortal Kombat universe due to the new live action films and the animated flicks from WB. Honestly, I really enjoy the animated films so when I heard that another one was scheduled for release, I knew I had to see it. I quickly reached out to WB and they were kind enough to send over Snow Blind for review. 
      The world have been ravaged and turned into a wasteland. Kano is the leader of the Black Dragon’s and subsequently is ruler of most of the world. Those that don’t fall under his reign soon meet a gruesome. A young warrior, Kenshi, finds himself standing toe to toe with Kano and his Black Dragon clan but when he is betrayed by a frail Shang Tsung, he finds himself blind. Former Lin Kuei warrior turned peaceful gardener Kuai Liang takes him under his wing to show him how to fight without the aid of his sight. As the Black Dragons make their way to another hidden village in the dunes the two, along with Scorpion, band together to stop the massacre and end Kano before more blood could be spilled. 
      I haven’t played many of the games from the last decade or so which has really furthered the story for the MK universe. I don’t know a lot about the lore now but that doesn’t stop me from really getting into these animated movies. Snow Blind delivers a story unlike anything I have seen within the MK universe so I can’t tell you if it follows the games or not but I can tell you that it was a lot of fucking fun. The voice acting in this one is great. I noticed right away that Kano was voiced by David Wenham. I’m a huge Lord of the Rings fan and hearing Faramir voice Kano really surprised me. He did one hell of a job as Kano and fucking nailed his personality. The entire film is cast perfectly. I loved all the voice acting and how well each character was represented. The story was not what I was expecting at all and didn’t use the typical MK story where Earthrealm warriors and Raiden fight in the MK tournament. The apocalyptic setting with some not so popular characters, aside from Sub Zero and Scorpion, was unexpected but a lot of fun. I loved the character development, backstories, and the what the fuck ending we were given. Not taking the popular path really paid off here. Finally, I loved the animation style and the amount of gore we were given. Other MK animated films have some blood and light gore but this one is over the type and fucking glorious. I highly recommend it especially if you are in the mood for the red stuff. Overall, Snow Blind is probably my favorite of the MK Legends animated films. It’s bloody, unexpected, and gives us a story we haven’t seen before. I can’t recommend this one enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment