Saturday, December 17, 2022

Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savini


Director - Jason Baker (The Misfits: Tour Video Collection, Welcome to RED ROOM)
Starring - Tom Savini (From Duck Till Dawn, Creepshow 2), Fred Williamson (VFW, Hell Up in Harlem), and Caroline Williams (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Sabrina the Teenage Witch)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror/Documentary
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     I was on the fence about how to start this review. I absolutely adore Wild Eye Releasing and even if I don’t find myself enjoying the film, they sent me for review I still enjoy the moment. Watching an indie film is something that I love. It’s an experience even if the film doesn’t find it’s mark with me. A few weeks back I received their blu release of the horror documentary Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savini. Savini is king to many horror fans and I have to admit that I thought the same when I was a teenager up until just recently. His effects work was my childhood and I can’t talk about many of my favorite films without talking about his hideous creations. As much as I respect him for what he has done for the genre and the memories he has created I would be lying if I didn’t mention how rude and arrogant, he was when I met him at a con in Pittsburgh a few years back. 
      The film follows the life of Tom Savini from his childhood and finding his love of monsters and theater. Before moving to his love life, enlisting in the military, and finding a knack for theater. Things are bumpy for Savini for a but another meeting with Pittsburgh native George A. Romero sends him in the right direction where he would create effects for some of the most acclaimed genre films of all time. 
      I met Savini several years back when I went to Steel City Con in Pittsburgh. I had no idea he was scheduled to be there and had went for the Dawn of the Dead reunion to meet Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, Gaylen Ross and more. When I walked into the convention floor I immediately saw the line for Ken Foree, Road Warrior Animal, Linda Blair, and several cast members from Romero’s Dawn of the Dead. When you walked passed them to the vendor floor you were greeted with several tables of horror merch, hand made items, and a few other celebrities with Savini among them. I was fucking shocked to see him setting there with his handler all alone. I rushed over with my wife and toddler and asked if I could snag an autograph and a picture with him. He never said a word and his handler told me the price. I paid cash and pointed to the pic I wanted autographed. Once I did, he signed it and left it sitting where it was before turning to the side to have a conversation with his female handler. I paused for a moment and then asked if it was cool to snag a picture with him but before I could finish his handler said he wasn’t feeling like pictures today. Since then I’ve heard dozens, if not hundreds, of tales like mine. I don’t expect a celebrity at a convention to bend over backwards for me but I was expecting someone to show a little manners and at least speak to a fan that is handing over their hard earned money to meet them. Anyway, this film is an emotional look at the man known for bringing monsters to life and killing our favorite characters. The interviews in this one ranges from legends, alive and dead, to personal friends and fans of Savini. We have life long friends, family, colleagues, fans, filmmakers, and more who speak about Savini and his legacy. Honestly, I know he is a legend but it’s really impressive hearing so many people talk about him and his accomplishments. The topics discussed in this one are more focused on Savini on a personal level instead of the effects world that he created and is known for. When I said earlier that this is an emotional look at Savini I truly meant it. While it does discuss his work on films either in front of behind the camera, it mostly focuses on his passion, desires, family, and dreams. You get a really close look into his upbringing, finding his knack for make-up and theatrics, life in the military, divorce, and much more. It really does take a deep look into it all. On the other side of the same coin, many of us are more interested in his effects and acting work and wish the film would have focused more on that with some behind the scene stories of working on these classic scenes. Finally, the film takes a chronological approach beginning from his childhood until now. We have smooth transitions from one life event to the next and the editing is just as smooth. The film is a top tier documentary which makes sense considering it was directed by frequent Savini collaborator and former student. Overall, Smoke and Mirrors is a solid watch for genre fans especially those of you that grew up on the films Savini worked on. It’s a great look into his life but a doc about his effects with behind the scenes stories and so on would have been so much more fun. Regardless, I enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment