Sunday, December 25, 2022

Moonchild


Director - Todd Sheets (Bonehill Road, Hi-8 (Horror Independent 8)
Starring - Auggi Alvarez (The Witching, Zombie Bloodbath), Kathleen McSweeney (Violent New Breed, Zombie Bloodbath 2), and Zombie Bloodbath, Zombie Bloodbath 2)
Release Date - 1994
Genre - Action/Sci-Fi/Horror
Tagline - "A full moon can be fatal!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Todd Sheets is a filmmaker that really impresses me. Whenever I review one of his films, I have to mention how impressed by his career I am. Not many independent filmmakers can last as long as he has in the business and the fact that he has released some seriously fantastic films in his lengthy career is no small feat. With that being said, not all of his films speak to me. Some are fun and work while others just don’t work for me. A few months ago, Wild Eye’s sister company Visual Vengeance announced the release of Sheets’ Moonchild on blu. This was one I had never seen before, so I reached out to my friend at Wild Eye and they were kind enough to send a copy my way. Like always I want to take a moment to thank them for hooking me up! 
      The film follows a man who was forced to undergo an experiment that spliced his DNA with that of a wolf. The team behind the experiment kills his wife and takes his son who inherited his traits. He’s able to escape and begins a hunt for his son and the company that did this to him along with a rag tag group of survivors with their own scores to settle. 
      When I first received the press release for Visual Vengeance’s release of Moonchild I was fucking hooked on the film. The synopsis sounded like everything I didn’t know I needed in an S.O.V. action horror flick. Like I stated earlier, Sheets’ films are hit or miss with me but this one sounded like a love letter to the dystopian future gang flicks from the 80s that I love. However, the film really struggled to hold my attention and the story felt a bit underwhelming which was odd considering how much was going on in the film. The acting in this one is some of the most awkward performances I’ve seen in indie cinema. I’ve reviewed films from the teenage years of filmmakers like Chris Seaver and Todd Falcon along with countless first-time filmmakers ranging from teenagers in high school to middle schoolers playing around with their parent’s cameras. I can usually look passed inexperience but a lot of the scenes in Moonchild are awkward to watch. The cast seems to be confused as to who they are talking to at times and their sporadic eye movement along with their unconvincing performances made this wild ass story fall shirt. The story for this one is one of the most ambitious indie productions I’ve witnessed. It’s an action film at it’s base that reminds me a lot of films like Split Second and other straight to video action films that blended in elements of sci-fi and horror. We have a dystopian society ruled by corporations, gangs of madmen, shapeshifters, inhumans, and so much more. With that being said, the awkward acting and poor pacing takes so much away from what would normally be an amazing story. Finally, the effects are limits but still fun. We get some great sets, wardrobe, and locations but the lack of effects really disappointed me. I was expecting so much more from Sheets and his team in regards to this. There was a scene or two with some decent practical effects but not enough to satisfy those of us that know what he is capable of. Overall, Moonchild is a fucking wild film that has moments that will glue you to the screen scattered throughout a film that is about as interesting as watching paint dry. I love seeing films like this get the blu-ray treatment from Visual Vengeance but this is one I will not be able to revisit any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment