Sunday, December 11, 2022

Sweet Tooth


Creator(s) - Jim Mickle (Stakeland, Mullberry St.) and Beth Schwartz (Arrow, DC's Legends of Tomorrow)
Starring - Christian Convery (Venom, Aliens Stole My Body), Nonso Anozie (Doctor Who, Conan the Barbarian), and Aliza Vellani (The Twilight Zone, The X-Files)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Adventure/Drama
Tagline - "The end of our world is the beginning of his"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Sometime last year Netflix released season one of the post-apocalyptic drama Sweet Tooth. I knew absolutely nothing about the show but I was intrigued when I saw artwork featuring the little boy with antlers. With that being said, I never found the time to check it out. I knew I would eventually because I do enjoy post-apocalyptic films and shows and this one looked just weird enough to hook me. I had no idea it was a DC property until I received the press release for the series blu release. This sold me on it so I quickly reached out to them for a review copy. I never received a reply but a short time later the review copy arrived. I had to work this curious little series into my watch pile and I figured it made the most sense after watching Battle of the Super Sons. 
      The film follows a young boy named Gus who happens to be a deer hybrid. Ten years ago, when he was a new born, the world collapsed in what is being called The Great Crumble when a viral pandemic wiped out most of the population. That same day all children born were hybrids of some sort. Many believed the pandemic was caused by the hybrids and hunt them. When Gus’ dad dies trying to protect him from hunters, he decides to leave the safety of his cozy cabin to venture to Colorado in search of his mother. Along the way he befriends a former hybrid hunter and a young girl with trust issues.  With hopes of finding his mom he learns more about his conception and to trust those who have their faith in him. 
      Sweet Tooth is a bit of a gritty drama in regards to looks but it’s a fairly upbeat series with a lot to enjoy. The characters are all well written and beautifully portrayed while the story is slightly predictable but still very enjoyable. It is a bit of a satire series especially in a post-Covid world. You either catch the satire or it’s over your head and you are part of the problem. The acting in this is one is great. Honestly, I loved the characters in this show and the cat fucking kills it. There is no weak links in the casting and the characters, the villain included, is a joy to watch. I seriously can’t wait to see them all return in season two. I loved the story for this one. I know this was a comic series but I’m unsure as to when it was originally released. However, I like to think that the pandemic and how people acted helped shape the television adaptation of the comic. The people hunting hybrids and blaming them for the outbreak is very similar to how many blamed China for the Covid outbreak. It’s a seriously grounded story with racism, false pro-life narrative, and a surprisingly enjoyable post-apocalyptic setting that works. The pacing is spot on and each episode brilliantly builds up on the previous episode. Finally, the film has a little blood but the focus of this one is the make-up effects and the surprisingly enjoyable visual effects. I thoroughly enjoyed the way the hybrids looked and can’t wait to see more in future episodes. Overall, Sweet Tooth should not be ignored. I slept on it and I wish I hadn’t. It was so much fun and I seriously can’t wait to see where we go next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment