Friday, January 25, 2013

Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre

aka Harpoon: Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre
aka Harpoon: Whale Watching Massacre

Director - Julius Kemp (Wallpaper: An Erotic Love Story)
Starring - Pihla Viitala (Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters), Nae (Letters from Iwo Jima), and Terence Anderson (Road to Damascus)
Release Date - 2009
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Hunting humans in the cold Icelandic waters" and "The catch of the day ... is you"
Formate - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
      You will be surprised by what you will find at Big Lots.  One day over the summer I was looking through their DVDs when I found this film.  The name grabbed me and I had to have it.  A horror flick simply titled Harpoon with Gunnar Hansen's name all over the cover had to be good.  However, deep down I had a feeling the film would be shitty and Hansen would only have a small cameo.  Either way I really wanted to watch this movie.  Like I have mentioned in previous posts, I am a sucker for cover art.  After having it gather dust for a few months I finally threw it in.
      The film follows a group of tourists, from all over the world, as they head out to sea to go whale watching.  An accident involving a drunk Frenchman leaves the captain, Gunnar Hansen, mortally wounded  and forcing the group to radio for help.  A nearby whaler picks up the group and offers to take them to safety.  However, the whaler and his demented family has other plans.  The family plans on butchering the whale watchers which brings about the true colors of each individual. An Asian girl sacrifices her friend in order to save herself while the rest of the group is left on the boat to fight to survive.  Two girls are able to escape on a life raft before the authorities arrive...a little too late. 
     Before I get too far in to this review I want to say that this is based on the rated DVD release.  After watching this movie I ordered the unrated BluRay because I really enjoyed this film and wanted to see the unrated version.  Anyway, this film really impressed me.  The atmosphere is probably this movies strongest quality.  The film has a strong brooding atmosphere that is perfect for a slasher flick.  The setting of the film also helps the horror movie element.  When a slasher film takes place in the woods it makes the film feel more open and gives the viewer the feeling that the campers can get away.  However, having the film take place in the middle of ocean gives the film a more dreaded feeling and the viewer knows those on the boat are fucked.  The acting is great but I am a little pissed that Hansen was not in the film longer.  He was honestly in the film less than 5 minutes and yet his name is plastered all over the DVD artwork.  The special effects are great and are some of the best I've seen in years.  They are simple, but along with the camera work and lighting, are very effective and extremely entertaining.  The story is also very good and very well written.  Finally, the kills are a horror hounds wet dreams.  The rated version still offers some decent kills and gore so I can only imagine the work that is shown in the unrated version.  Once I watch that version I will write a revisited review for those of you that give a damn.  Overall, this is a must own so go out immediately and grab a copy.


               



No comments:

Post a Comment