Thursday, November 21, 2013

13/13/13


Director - James Cullen Bressack (Hate Crime, To Jennifer)
Starring - Trae Ireland (Dead Afterlife), Erin Coker (11/11/11, Shark Week), and Jody Barton (To Jennifer, Dr. Suess's There's A Wocket in My Pocket)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "On that day...we are demon"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     All directors have a certain style about them and that is why you like them or not.  Some directors like to make cheesy or campy films while others like to shock and aw.  Others directors wanna make bloody and gory flicks and then we get a select few who like to make films that are just fucking brutal. That brings me to director James Cullen Bressack and his new flick 13/13/13.  This is not the first time I have picked apart Bressack's films.  Several months back I reviewed his films To Jennifer (read the review here) and Hate Crime (read the review here).  His films are nothing award winning or game changing but they are fucking brutal.  Recently he sent me a link to an online screener for his newest flick 13/13/13 and for that I thank you very much!
      The film follows Jack (Ireland) who is just returning home from a camping trip with his friends to find his wife having a mental breakdown.  She is savagely rubbing her arm and removing the skin because it "wont come off." He goes with her to the hospital and discovers that everyone is no longer themselves.  Everyone is now angry and hateful.  As time progresses people become hostile and either kill each other or themselves.  Jack panics and seeks refuge from the hospital filled with maniacs.  He soon finds Candace (Coker) and learns why he is not like everyone else.  For thousands of years we have added an extra day every four years which throws the ancient Mayan calender off kilter.  Now, they are in the 13th day of the 13th month in the 13th year bringing about a world of demons and only those born on leap year are not infected.  Now the two must battle a world of maniacs to get back to his home to check on his friends and daughter...but are they possessed? 
     When I look at the posters and titles for some movies I often get that feeling of dread or concern because it just does not make sense to me.  When I first read the title for 13/13/13 I was fucking confused but the artwork looked amazing so I was open-minded and I'm glad I was because this movie was great.  This movie was just as brutal and chaotic as I came to expect from Bressack.  The acting is top notch which is something you typically cannot say about a flick from The Asylum.  It was cool to see the cameo by fellow director Jared Cohn who also directs many of The Asylum's films.  I also want to take a second and say that Jody Barton is one hell of an actor.  He was amazing in To Jennifer and even fucking better in this one.  He needs to star in more movies.  The story is nothing original.  Zombies and infected people movies are a dime a dozen but I did like the Mayan twist to the storyline.  The film did remind me of the Exorcist Chronicles with only one big difference...it didn't suck.  Finally, those looking for on-screen deaths should look no further because this film has a metric ton.  The special effects are hit and miss but it does not take away from this bloody flick.  Overall, Bressack delivers another film that feels like a punch to throat and does not let up.  I highly recommend this one!








No comments:

Post a Comment