Friday, November 29, 2013

Vampire Camp


Director - Ray Nomoto Robison (Die Before I Wake)
Starring - Scott Ford (Four Daughters), Tamara Barrus (Sixes and the One Eyed King), and Robert Armstrong (Sixes and the One Eyed King)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     When people think of horror they immediately think of vile films that are coated in blood and guts.  Though this may be the case for most of them but the same can not be said for all of them.  I do love a good blood soaked horror flick but sometimes I just want to sit down and watch a horror flick that requires no thinking and has the possibility to make me laugh...multiple times.  I love brutal and violent horror flicks but some of my favorites are black comedies and when I cross paths with one I have to give it a shot.  That brings me to the vampire comedy Vampire Camp directed by Ray Nomoto Robison.  I was doing a little searching around on Facebook when I came across this flick.  I reached out to the page and Ray was nice enough to send me a link to an online screener.  Thanks Ray for hooking me up with that.
     The film follows vampire killer Professor Bartholomew Dubbs (Ford) and his assistants as he holds a vampire camp where he reveals all his secrets about killing vampires.  However, not all the people in attendance are there to learn to kill vampires.  In fact, they would prefer no one else knew because they are vampires themselves.  They are there because their leader has a score to settle with the good professor.  Long ago an ancestor of his killed the love of her life...or afterlife.  The vampires make their way through the camp attendees turning them into the undead while the professor is clueless.  Luckily, the professor has the help of his assistant, an aspiring female vampire killer, and a vampire who has a crush on his assistant.  When the vampires finally show their real intentions they all step in to save the professor and the world.
      I really like it when a movie goes against the mainstream and gives me something different. Sure, the films may not always be that original or inspired by films of the past but they are still going against the trends that are currently plaguing films.  That is what this movie did.  It went against the horror and vampire norms in more than one way.  The first was the style of film.  I have seen more horror comedies than I care to count.  I absolutely love horror comedies but the absurdity that they have still stops at a point.  However, this film just kept going with it which was extremely fun to watch.  The film was more humor than horror and I am completely fine with that.  The film also reminded me a lot of the works of Abbott and Costello.  I love how the dumbfounded lead was oblivious to the threat he was facing and the hysterical situations he found himself in.  The acting in this one in not that great but that only added to the charm this film had.  I wouldn't say the acting was bad but I did see a lot of room for improvement.  The story is nothing original but it is extremely fun.  I love all the dumb witted humor and how the film was able to take the sparkles out of vampires again.   Finally, those looking for great special effects and on screen kills will not find them here.  The point of this film is to make the viewer laugh and not cover them in blood.  Overall, this is a hilarious film that will make you laugh even after you have been drained of your blood.  I recommend this one.





    


No comments:

Post a Comment