Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Inbred


Director - Alex Chandon (Cradle of Fear, Chainsaw Scumfuck)
Starring - Jo Hartley (Dead Man's Shoes), Seamus O'Neill (Roughnecks), and James Doherty (The IT Crowd)
Release Date - 2011
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "They came in peace... they left in pieces."
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):
      I find it funny how how the human race is so impatient as a whole.  We can not wait for our food to be prepared so we now have drive-thrus.  The same can be said about picking up our medication and cigarettes.  We need our internet fast so we do not have to let our Netflix buffer and now you can get entire meals ready to be placed in your microwave for just a few minutes.  Society as a whole does not slow down...except the horror junkie.  Horror fans can wait years, even decades for a film to be released.  You can see that with those that waited for Freddy vs. Jason. That was me and the horror comedy Inbred that was directed by Alex Chandon who also directed the short Chainsaw Scumfuck.  Finally, after 2 years the film was officially released in the U.S. just mere days before my birthday (which was October 17th).
     A group of youths, who have made too many mistakes in their short lives, are being taken out into the countryside as part of a work-release program. The youths are sent to do various jobs in the country side ranging from remodeling an old farmhouse to scraping abandoned trains.  However, things don't go according to plan when the group cross the backwoods locals who kidnap them and force them to "star" on their own sadistic stage show.  As each one dies violently in clever ways in front of an audience, the remaining members have to find a way out of their holding cell and fight off the inbred freaks!
     I've noticed that a lot of films I wait patiently to be released usually let me down.  However, that was far from the case with this impressive film here.  The first few minutes made me think my wife bought me a shitty movie for my birthday but after that I knew this film was a hit.  The acting in this film is great.  When I say great I really mean top notch.  The entire cast did a great job and made their characters very loveable or easy to hate depending on the character.  The story is nothing original and I can see why people compare it to Wrong Turn.  However, though I can see the comparisons to Wrong Turn I can safely say this film is nothing like Wrong Turn.  Personally, I love Wrong Turn and Wrong Turn II so I have seen both films dozens of times so I assure you that this film is polar opposite of those.   The only comparison between the two is the incest angle and from there the films split.  As for this story, it reminded me a lot of the Herschell Gordon Lewis flick Wizard of Gore.  Both films involve murders taking place on stage but the entire story is different.  Finally, the film has amazing on screen kills and special effects.  The film relied heavily on practical effects with limited CGI to only add to the overall effect.  Also, the film shows some extremely brutal and harsh kills that I absolutely loved.  Some of them are very original and that brings a lot to the horror genre forcing other directors to up their games.  Overall, this is one blood-soaked trip through the countryside with some crazy locals that I am sure are related to my in-laws.  I highly recommend it!






No comments:

Post a Comment