Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hidden In the Woods (2012)

Hidden In the Woods (2012)
Directed by:  Patricio Valladares
Starring:  Siboney Lo, Carolina Escobar, Daniel Antivilo, José Hernandez, François Soto

(out of 5)
   Best rape/revenge film I've seen since Irreversible.  The cinematography by Thomas Smith was absolutely remarkable start to finish.  Blood and gore thrown around well enough to make the gore hounds like myself very happy.  I mean this film has many things I love.  No matter what anyone says a good rape/revenge film is a great thing to have.  Some can't stomach it and I get it, I really do.  What I don't get is how you can watch someone be killed but rape is a no no.  Rape that you can come back from and deal with...death, not so much.  But anywho this film has gore, cannibalism, a great Mexican gangster story-line, big boobs covered with blood, and great actors to boot.  I really have nothing negative to say about it at all.  It's currently being remade by the same director with Michael Biehn and William Forsythe which is promising but I doubt I'll give it a go American remakes even by the same director to films only a couple of years old is a little silly to me, and my guess is that it's because the original film is in Spanish and we all know how 'murica is with that.
     Ana and Anny are young Mexican ladies who live with their abusive drug dealing and murdering father.   Their father rapes Ana and she has a geek for a child in the barn where they live.  The girls and the geek eventually have had enough and try to escape but their father locks them away in a small shack.  Some time goes by and the police show up at the property after receiving complaints about domestic abuse of the girls.  When the two officers approach the father he is cutting wood with a chainsaw.  He refuses to turn off the saw and when one of the police officers heads off to the shack to investigate a noise the father starts sawing away at the first officer and soon after the second but not before being shot once in the shoulder.   
     After the father kills off the cops with the chainsaw and let me tell you it was one bloody chainsaw death I thoroughly enjoyed right out of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie, the girls and the geek finally escape into the woods.  Their father heads off in search of help from the drug kingpin he was trafficking drugs for.  But before Uncle Costello can get him the father starts shooting up the streets and lands himself in prison. 
     All the while the girls are hiding in a cabin their father owned deep in the woods, hence the title.  From there we have Ana selling herself for food and soon after when two backpackers try and rape Anny they end up getting cannibalized by Manuel the geek and Anny herself.  When Ana arrives on the bloody cabin scene she sees what her sister and her freak son have done and flips out.  But it isn't long before Ana herself is enjoying the feast of human flesh which by the way as Anny explains was taught to them by their father whom obviously was also a cannibal.  This guy has no limits.
     The film goes back and forth between their father, the girls, and the kingpin with his gang of thugs and I must say the editing in this film is superb much like camera shots and bloody fx.  No CGI at all.  I was very impressed with this film as you can see from my rating.  The end is just amazing and I really hope the remake Michael Biehn is starring in is at a similar caliber.  A +

No comments:

Post a Comment