Sunday, November 3, 2013

Alabama Sasquatch


Director - Tommy Slama (Weedwolf)
Starring - A.J. Germaine (Weedwolf), Tommy Slama, Phillip Tolle (Bad Kids Go to Hell, Skunk-Ape Hunters in Texas)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "They stole from the wrong negro"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     The title of a film can help get the viewer into the right mindset for what they are about to watch. When a viewer picks up a copy of Black Dynamite, Bloodsucker Jones, and Weedwolf, they know they are holding a hilarious dose of anarchy in their hands.  Viewers can expect to laugh their asses off to a storyline that is so ridiculous that you will think a middle school student wrote it.  Recently, I reviewed the werewolf comedy Weedwolf sent to me by writer and star of the film Tommy Slama.  Like I said in that review I found the film by mistakenly typing in werewolf on google.  I reached out to the Facebook page for the film and Tommy was nice enough to send me a screener of the film along with it's tongue-in-cheek sequel Alabama Sasquatch.  Though Weedwolf was far from perfect it still left me laughing so hard I almost threw up so I was very excited to watch this follow up effort directed by Tommy himself.  Thank you Tommy for sending me this one!
     The film follows veteran Junebug (Germaine) as he teams up with two war buddies to fight a backwoods racist family who run a taco stand.  However, there is more to the story than that.  Thrown into the mix is the bumbling Bumper (Slama), a brown sasquatch who protects an ancient relic that loves pot and tits, A corrupt white sasquatch, and Nazi scum who are looking for said relic. The Nazis wanna use it to bring about global power but the family, unaware of the relic, are trying to kill Junebug and squatch.  It is up to the pot-smoking Junebug and his rag tag group of idiots to save the day!
     When the team behind a film is making a horror comedy of outlandish proportions, it is always best to give the viewer a title to help them prepare themselves for it.  However, those looking to watch Alabama Sasquatch will never be able to prepare themselves for what is about to unfold in front of them.  The praise of this film should go to the humor this one has to offer.  I laughed a lot when I watched Weedwolf but this film had me and my wife (the non-horror fan) cracking up.  I laughed till it hurt.  The acting in this film is actually a step up from Weedwolf.  Germaine and Slama made their roles fun and brought about even more personality to their characters when compared to Weedwolf.  Germaine does an amazing job but Slama and his Bumper character steals the show.  I would really like to see more come from this character.  He waddled into my heart!  The story is one hell of a ride and it had to take a true comical genius to write something like this.  My biggest complaint with Weedwolf was that the storyline was not linear but Slama fixed that with AS.  Finally, the special effects in this one are the same quality as those in Weedwolf.  Rubber masks, really cheap looking costumes, and horrible CGI gunfire are what you will find when you watch this and as bad as that sounds, they actually add to the cheesy charm this film has.  Overall, those looking for a cheap, good time should put your mom down and grab this flick.  I highly recommend this one!






    



No comments:

Post a Comment