Thursday, December 12, 2013

Area 407 (2012)


Area 407 (2012)
directed by:  Dale , Everette Wallin
starring:  Abigail Schrader, Samantha Lester, James Lyons, Melanie Lyons, Brendan Patrick Connor, Ken Garcia, Samantha Sloyan
Tagline:  The Plane Crash Was Just The Beginning
Format:  Netflix Streaming

(out of 5)
 
   What can I say I'm a sucker for found footage films all the way.  No straight shot film or movie has the quality of realness that a found footage style film projects in my opinion.  I just feel right there holding the camera.  For a lot of people the jumpy cameras and out of focus tribulations are too much to handle and they always rant away about it and yet somehow continue to watch them for some reason.  Blair Witch was really the first one for me, I mean Cannibal Holocaust kind of counts but not all of that movie is from the found footage which is something most reviewers who claim it was the first of this style forget.  But whatever onto the film focus at hand.

          We have a small group of plain crash survivors who managed to get out semi-safely from the crash which split the plane in half leaving their half in a small field near a swampy woodland area some where in the south.  But once the survivors emerge from the wreckage and begin to search for others they discover that there was something else for them to worry about besides being rescued.  After hearing some strange sounds out in the darkness the small group are attacked by an unseen reptilian creature. 
     At first glance I was annoyed by some the overacting, especially with young blonde girl and her sister (Abigail Schrader and Samantha Lester).  Also snother thing I didn't like about the movie was the lack of monster sightings.  I mean sometimes it just seemed as if the air was picking up victims and dragging them away.  I mean I was expecting bad cgi for a Sy Fy style movie like this but come on.  At least give me an image pulling the helpless victims into the darkness. 
    I did like the sense of panic this movie seemed to invoke.  At first it's surviving a plane crash and then it becomes a race against time as they try and escape whatever is chasing them and killing their friends one by one.  Charlie (Brendan Patrick Connor) plays my favorite role in the film as a complete ass who is about one of the rudest people I've ever seen in my life.  He is constantly at odds with every decision the other group memebers make.  I would like to say he survived but I'm really not sure his character kind of just disappeared into thin air. 
     Overall I liked the acting other than two I've already mentioned for every other character in the movie.  Each one of them was very believable especially Malanie Lyons.  I loved how the characters sort of meandered around the swamps covered in blood while fighting amongst themselves but yet trying to work together to find an escape route.  I love human interaction dramas whether it be this, Walking Dead, etc.  The psychological factor was what kept me going in this movie and yeah I may just buy it some day but only if it's for chump change on Amazon.
 In the end we discover the plane landed on private experimental government property and well I've leave the rest out of spoiler territory but I definitely enjoyed this movie just for reasons other than it was a good monster movie because it really wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment