Friday, December 6, 2013

The Blackface Killer

aka The Minstrel Killer
Director - Michael Fredianelli (The Scarlet Worm)
Starring - Michael Fredianelli (I Die Alone), Anthony Spears (Xenobites), Eric Anderson (Killer Priest)
Release Date - 2009
Genre - Horror/Exploitation
Tagline - "He's mad...he's mean...he's a torture machine"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Recently I have noticed a lot of people shit talking the current waive of exploitation flicks being released by major motion picture companies and indie directors a like.  Personally, I find these films extremely entertaining and different than the normal horror flick.  I also really like the way they can add the grainy picture quality to the film in post-production. That is also a good way to cover the poor picture quality of the film.  Anyway, I personally love this new surge of exploitation film and will jump on any exploitation inspired flick I can find.  That brings me to the flick The Blackface Killer that had the working title of The Minstrel Killer.  I recently became friends on Facebook with one of the biggest indie horror fans I have met to date.  He posted a mini-review on Facebook of the flick and I had to see it.  I reached out to the Facebook page for the film and they were nice enough to send me a screener.  Thank you so much for taking the time to send me one!
     It is 1978 and the film follows two cops, Tex (Fredianelli), and his black partner Tyrell (Spears) as they team up with the sheriff of a small town to solve a series of female murders.  Three females have been murdered by a man wearing black face paint, Blackface, who is killing people with various torture methods that was used on slaves.  Through great police work Tex discovers that the females were all siblings and came from a family that once owned the biggest plantation in Texas that just happened to own the most slaves.  As Tex and Tyrell rush to save the surviving sister, they encounter a clan of cannibals that almost cuts their investigation short.  Through the entire ordeal the two learn to work together and put aside their difference (skin color included) to put a stop to the murdering menace.
      What people fail to realize about exploitation films is that they often transcend genres and sub-genres. Exploitation films exploit the popular styles and cliches of the times and that often led to the film jumping genre to genre.  Exploitation films were known to be low budget and filthy...both of the things I love.  Director Michael Fredianelli knows what it takes to make a true exploitation film and applied that knowledge to The Blackface Killer making one hell of a film.  The film is more horror than anything but it also has some not-so subtle hints of action and crime drama to round it out.  This film could have easily been shown in one of the many grindhouses in the 70s.  The acting in this one is not the best but I honestly think that was intentional to get that low-budget feel.  That being said, I think the film would have not worked out so well if the cast actually tried harder.  I love when characters are so over the top.  It creates one hell of a viewing experience.  The story is your typical slasher that does not feel like your typical slasher.  I personally love slashers, as many of you know, but I also love exploitation flicks so I really enjoyed the two colliding to create on filthy sex session.  The film feels different while retaining the elements of both slashers and exploitation films.  I also liked the fact that the film took place in 1978.  The film felt authentic which is something you rarely see in an indie flick.  Finally, those looking for great special effects will not find them here.  However, this film does have some great on screen kills with just enough special effects to make it work.  The film does not have the kills you would see in a Friday the 13th flick but they are still good enough to entertain the fuck out of ya.  Overall, this film is a gritty flick that will leave you blood-soaked and paint smeared.  I highly recommend this one!







No comments:

Post a Comment